Primer for Pine Green

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Primer for Pine Green

Post by Wildergarten »

One has a choice of grays in primer coatings and with some colors they can have a substantial effect on the appearance of the final topcoat color (reds being a notable example). I have both light gray and black in epoxy primers and it would help to know what works best under the traditional Dodge truck Pine Green, or if it doesn't make any difference.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Mark
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Primer for Pine Green

Post by 712edf »

Not sure if black EPOXY primer is compatible with Zinc Chromate (yellow) but if it was, black + yellow = green.

Where primer color really gets critical is when someone spot primes instead of doing the complete body. I had a Plum Crazy Purple Road Runner that looked good in sunlight but looked spotty at night when another vehicle's headlights illuminated it, due to the painter taking a shortcut & only spot priming (red) over white. :pale

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

712edf wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 pm
Not sure if black EPOXY primer is compatible with Zinc Chromate (yellow) but if it was, black + yellow = green.

Where primer color really gets critical is when someone spot primes instead of doing the complete body.
And therein lies the rub. I plan a black and green color scheme, much like a military truck on all the externally visible parts. The cool thing about black primer is that it's less likely to show scratches. This is first of all, a work truck. I just have this propensity to get too anal about just about everything, then to get crossed up having lost too much time, getting in a hurry, and in the process missing or messing one critical detail. LOL, :banghead We'll see if I can manage that albatross.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

There are a lot of variables, some paints cover better than others. With a dark color, I would think that the primer is less of an issue. Lighter primer will make it easier to see your coverage on the first coat. Black primer will make dark colors darker.