Bed mounting

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Bed mounting

Post by Drummerdad »

I figured I might get a better response in here.

I started test fitting the bed the other day, and noticed an issue. To recap, this was a long bed frame from a parts truck, because the "frame" under the cab and bed we bought was basically a lesson in how NOT to splice a frame. Got the frame, shortened it, added IFS and a 4-link...blah blah. So the bed is on, and the body lines line up okay. The problem is the rear frame hump is into the bed area. No problem, because i dont have the wood isolator blocks in place yet, so it gets spaced up over that hump. But when I space it up the body lines are off pretty bad.

I think I put the rubber cab isolators in right, with the frame mount between the 2 pieces of rubber. I guess the cab isolators could be that compressed, but the bed needs to go up by at least 1-1/2". I kept one of the bed mounts, and it is about 2-1/4" tall.

Here are pictures.
Attachments
The lines are off. I need at least an inch in the rear to fix it
The lines are off. I need at least an inch in the rear to fix it
The bed spaced up. You can see the original wooden block.
The bed spaced up. You can see the original wooden block.
Cab isolator. I did not move the frame mounts here
Cab isolator. I did not move the frame mounts here

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Bed mounting

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There are no wood spacers from the factory under the bed like that. That's why your body lines are off.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

The ones I have (used in the picture) are temporary, but they are shorter than the ones that came on the truck. I removed the factory steel bed mounts because it was a long bed, and they wouldnt work on the short bed, so Im going to make new ones. I used the ones in the picture for reference.

The factory one is in the second picture, sitting on whats left of the bed floor, in the background.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That factory oak block sits recessed in the bed crossmember and lifts the bed barely a fraction of an inch above the mount.
The rear cab floor at the mount looks rotted. They are known to rot and sag, lowering the cab. Can't tell from the pic if that is half the problem.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:59 pm
That factory oak block sits recessed in the bed crossmember and lifts the bed barely a fraction of an inch above the mount.
The rear cab floor at the mount looks rotted. They are known to rot and sag, lowering the cab. Can't tell from the pic if that is half the problem.
That makes sense. So I think its a combination of three problems. The blocks have the bed too high. The cab mounts are rotted and making the cab sag, and the rubber bushings are compressed a bit as well.

I did this to set the bed mount height. I guess Ill lower the bed until its as low as I can get it. Then I can always shim it up. The cab wont be straight until I get floor pans in, so Ill have to shim it for now to fix the issue.

Thanks for the help.