Weatherstripping with doors on or off?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Weatherstripping with doors on or off?

Post by JLeather »

Just finished repainting my door jambs and rebuilding my hinges. The doors are off right now and I'm wondering if I need to rehang then before putting the weatherstripping on? It's much easier to get it in the right spot with the doors off and laying flat, but I wonder if it needs to cure with the doors shut so it gets pressed down hard while drying?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Weatherstripping with doors on or off?

Post by dodgeboykim »

Doors off. Best way.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

Thanks. Do you glue it to both surfaces on the door, or just the outer skin? The stuff I removed was glued on both sides, but it was obviously not done by someone who knew what they were doing so I don't know if that right? The videos on Steele's website just mention gluing the one surface.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

JLeather wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm
Thanks. Do you glue it to both surfaces on the door, or just the outer skin? The stuff I removed was glued on both sides, but it was obviously not done by someone who knew what they were doing so I don't know if that right? The videos on Steele's website just mention gluing the one surface.

Weatherstrip adhesive. Glue on door and strip. Have a helper. Follow instructions for glue. Cant stress how a helper is a good idea to hold excess strip while you place it after glue sets. One try to do it right.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

I saw a video from Steele Rubber who made my weatherstripping about putting a thin layer on both and waiting til it tacks-up. That part makes sense. I'm working alone so I figure I'll do sections, maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of the door at a time. What I wanted to know was if I'm supposed to glue more than one side of the strip? When I took out my old weatherstripping it was glued to both the door skin and the adjacent side (the two surfaces I'm pointing to in the photo). I assume it should only be glued to the surface I've marked as "1"?

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I tape it down as I go. doors off

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Factory glued it to side 1 and about 1/2 way on side 2. Just examined a couple old doors in my stash to see how it was done.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:29 pm
Factory glued it to side 1 and about 1/2 way on side 2. Just examined a couple old doors in my stash to see how it was done.
That makes sense, as the squeeze forces the foam into the gap. Tying it down all the way across would put more shear forces into the material.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

Took me 2 tries and ruined the first set of weatherstripping but it's back on. Any tricks for putting the windows back in the channel at the bottom (the part that secures them to the track)? I knocked them out so I could paint the channel and replace the rubber filler material.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Glass on edge, upside down, resting on rubber or wood, lay rubber strip on edge, beat channel down with wood or rubber mallet. Use lube on the rubber - a bit of dish soap in water in squirt bottle.