Cowl Area Dent

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Cowl Area Dent

Post by Series1Utiline »

COWL3.GIF
I have an inward small dent on the sharp edge where shown where the door on my truck swung backward at some point. Is there a way to access this from behind to tap it out or am I faced with pulling it out from the outside?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Cowl Area Dent

Post by Jims68 »

The easiest and probably only way is to just use a puller. It's been a Looooong time since I was doing my restoration, so I am not 100% sure, but maybe you can pull out the vent parts and get to it that way. However, you won't be able to swing or have any movement through the vent hole if you do that.

In the photos, I can't see any damage so it must be fairly small. Why not just fill it rather than using a puller. If it's fairly shallow, then it would be OK to just fill it.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is no usable access to that area.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:28 am
There is no usable access to that area.
Useable... that's a great word for what I was trying to say! :lol:
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:39 am
I have an inward small dent on the sharp edge where shown where the door on my truck swung backward at some point. Is there a way to access this from behind to tap it out or am I faced with pulling it out from the outside?
Please post a close-up photo.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Series1Utiline »

The picture I used is not of my truck given I was at my computer when I thought about the ding and asking for input. I just grabbed a representative picture off of the internet. The ding is only 1/4" below surface but its right on the peak of the formed edge so there is a lot of resistance to being reformed to the correct shape. This appears to have happened when the original owner or his son were backing up the truck with the door partially open and they hit something which grabbed the door and forced the hinges to move past their normal stop point. This caused the peak on the door to contact the peak on the cowl area. You have all responded as I expected but I wanted to confirm anyway. I'll just plan on pulling that area. Thank you.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Springing a door backward like that does a hella lot more damage than just a little dent. Doors and cab always get bent all to hell where the hinges attach. Usually next to impossible to repair.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Series1Utiline »

Fortunately the adjustment points were loose enough at the time that they gave way and absorbed most of the energy. The door had deformation where the hinges attach (due to going momentarily past their stops) but that was repaired at the time and anything remaining was able to be adjusted out with hinge adjustment. There is zero cab deformation in the hinge mount locations fortunately.