Flipping for a Spare Battery

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Flipping for a Spare Battery

Post by Wildergarten »

Hi,

I want to put an auxiliary battery in the engine compartment. I am sure most are familiar with the battery bracket on the driver's side. It's mounted flange pointing down and obviously isn't symmetrical. Having taken a few measurements, I'm thinking I can get it into the gap on the passenger's side. I have a couple of extra battery pan stampings, so I was thinking I might just mount one upside down flanges pointed up and stretch the angle brace rod to keep the batteries at the same level. I may need to weld in a flathead bolt for it for clearance to the battery casing. I've seen bracket bolts that are spanked in such a way as to transition to a flat U-bend that I might be able to make fit hooking it from the inside. I could certainly forge one. Obviously, I'd have to move the horns, but I have seen them mounted off the shock angle brackets such that they'd be out of the way.

Has anybody else done this one?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Flipping for a Spare Battery

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Saw it once from the factory with a SERT sticker. Was in something like a fire truck. Too long ago to remember any details, but always figured it would be an easy mod. Even bought the 2 battery isolating diode back in the 80's.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm
Even bought the 2 battery isolating diode back in the 80's.
I plan on using a Blue Sea ACR: https://www.defender.com/large/204621_l.jpg

Upon looking at it, I may need to trim the edge of the radiator a bit and cut out the angled rod brace welded to stiffen the front panel. But yeah, it doesn't look like much of a pain. 'Famous last words.'
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I fitted a drivers battery tray on Passenger side in a 71 Fargo W200 years ago. Minor mods to fit it flange down with brace. :thinking
I had to relocate a couple items going from memory.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

I have a spare battery on opposite/passenger side. Brace is gone from front end/radiator holder. Spare tray fits in nicely. Among other things, I use it to run a 12,000 lb electric winch on the front end. Has an isolator so that you can also run 12V power off it. Highly recommend it. If you scroll down at this link to a Google Photo Album (about winch and bumper work on 4WD longbed - original Braden winch - and 4WD short bed - new electric) you can see it. Need to take a pic with winch wiring added to battery. Running an Optima Blue on Passenger Side and a Optima Yellow on Main battery. Will be doing the same on the longbed, but using it for other resources.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kyjtYpF33tX6SgTV7

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Thanks Ron, those are great pix. Will spend a few pondering your choices. That's one huge bumper you've got there.

I didn't see the isolator. Which did you choose? I'm looking at the Blue Sea ACR: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... ag=mh0b-20
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

RonHall76 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:51 pm
I have a spare battery on opposite/passenger side. Brace is gone from front end/radiator holder. Spare tray fits in nicely. Among other things, I use it to run a 12,000 lb electric winch on the front end. Has an isolator so that you can also run 12V power off it. Highly recommend it. If you scroll down at this link to a Google Photo Album (about winch and bumper work on 4WD longbed - original Braden winch - and 4WD short bed - new electric) you can see it. Need to take a pic with winch wiring added to battery. Running an Optima Blue on Passenger Side and a Optima Yellow on Main battery. Will be doing the same on the longbed, but using it for other resources.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kyjtYpF33tX6SgTV7
Great photos. I like the hood horns on that truck with the '68
hood. :Thumbsup

Good information on the second battery set up/location too.

John