Rubber strip along bottom edge of door windows?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Rubber strip along bottom edge of door windows?

Post by JLeather »

I've bought almost everything to refurb my doors, but when I got them apart tonight I found a badly deteriorated rubber strip across the bottom of the window. Seems that it seals the bottom of the window when the window is all the way up? Not the cat whiskers, this is a rubber strip embedded in the bottom edge of the glass. I've searched all the suppliers I can think of and no one mentions a replacement for this strip. Anyone replaced this and where did you get them?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: Rubber strip along bottom edge of door windows?

Post by Txas2step »

Are you talking about the rubber that holds the glass in the regulator channel? If so, I pitched it and used 100% silicone to hold glass in the channel. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

All it does is hold the glass like Chris mentioned. You should be able to get it at any auto glass shop.

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

Weird, I'll take a picture of mine but it overhangs one side of the channel by 1/2"-3/4" on both windows. Only reason I was asking about the rubber is it's all hard and cracked and I figured it was a seal, but maybe someone was just sloppy when they were putting them in the last time. While I've got the windows out should I remove the channels and re-bond them?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

If you don't have a local glass shop, try this. I am NOT sure which thickness you'll need, but check these out:

https://www.steelerubber.com/sash-chann ... 70-2170-57

OR:

https://www.steelerubber.com/sash-chann ... 70-2169-57
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

Wish I'd have seen this sooner. I just ordered the vent window rubbers from Steel (and about choked on the price). I'll see if there's a glass place in town that can rebond them for me. Maybe I'll clean and paint the frames while they're apart.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

JLeather wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:43 am
Weird, I'll take a picture of mine but it overhangs one side of the channel by 1/2"-3/4" on both windows. Only reason I was asking about the rubber is it's all hard and cracked and I figured it was a seal, but maybe someone was just sloppy when they were putting them in the last time. While I've got the windows out should I remove the channels and re-bond them?
That rubber probably catches under the opposing lips turned down from the edge of the opening. It would reduce snow accumulation inside the door and grab water to channel it to the ends and keep it out of the steel channel holding the glass (the "regulator").
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I have seen that too. thanks for the links. I think most the time its fallen off and people dont realize it was there in the first place. I think only one truck of many still had some left

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

Re" ... " it overhangs one side of the channel by 1/2"-3/4" on both windows"

Have that same situation on one of the trucks I am working on. Spent quite a bit of time in online research/using "contact us" at various suppliers and have found no one that makes that style. Post the source if you get lucky.