1971 W100 Door Hinges

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

1971 W100 Door Hinges

Post by Dale »

Hello! Was wondering how come my passenger side door don't close. What happens is that I have to lift up on the door handle to get the door to shut and latch. When the door is open, I can pick up on the bottom and the door will move up, then drop back down when I release. I'm suspecting bad hinges or perhaps there is loose mounting hardware in there. Typically, is the problem within the pin or the cab bracket? Off hand, it don't appear that the pins come out easy.

I just got a new used set today and I'm trying to determine their condition. These new hinges appear in good condition, one is fairly tight in any movement surrounding the pin, while the other hinge has some movement. There don't appear to be any bushing that looks to have fallen out. I thought by asking that I will better be able to repair my current hinges at a later time.

I continue to search the forum meanwhile. There has been a lot of help here. Thank you.
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 1971 W100 Door Hinges

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Usually its worn out pins and holes in the hinge. There are no bushings. Odd that it is the passenger door and not the drivers which gets opened and closed a million more times. There is a bit of adjustment at the hinge bolts inside the door and at the latch, but its not the best fix - unless its just loose bolts. And yes, the pins are a *#%^$ to get out.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thanks! These hinges look good. I can tell a difference between the two I have in that the hinge hole is slightly worn, like you are describing, but unable to determine the pin o.d in the pivot areas around the hinge hole. Now I'm itching to take a deeper look into my passenger side door. However, the amount in drop in the door could be a 1/2" as a guess. I cant see this problem being structural, the truck over all is rust free minus a few places where there are in fact rust holes. However, I have taken notice of the drivers side door in that there appears to be replacement hinges there, both upper and lower as the paint don't match the rest of the truck color. I better get moving if I want this truck to shape up and run by spring! Thank you again!
1971 Dodge W100

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pendleton
State: OR

Post by irontwist »

The Door Hinge repair kit is part #675-5143 NAPA, the replacement pins are .3425 in diameter. There is a very good You tube video on how to replace the pins for the Sweptline trucks. He uses a milling bit in a drill press and vise to hold the hinge as material must be removed to compensate for new bushings. A drill bit is also needed to drill both ends of hinge for the bushings. I would soak the hinge in Kroil or other penetrant for some time and you may even have to press the old pins out.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The pins drive out fairly well if u heat the hinge close to cherry red.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

irontwist wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 pm
The Door Hinge repair kit is part #675-5143 NAPA, the replacement pins are .3425 in diameter. There is a very good You tube video on how to replace the pins for the Sweptline trucks. He uses a milling bit in a drill press and vise to hold the hinge as material must be removed to compensate for new bushings. A drill bit is also needed to drill both ends of hinge for the bushings. I would soak the hinge in Kroil or other penetrant for some time and you may even have to press the old pins out.
Thank you for your help! All information I recorded in my notebook. Much appreciated!
1971 Dodge W100