Question about cutting out floor pans

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
demliag
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Question about cutting out floor pans

Post by demliag »

Are the floor pans welded to the cab bracket right below them (the one that is only attached to the cab, not the frame)? Or do they just sit on top of this bracket with no connection other than the bolt that holds the cab to the frame bracket? If they are welded, how do you separate the floor pans from this bracket? With an air chisel?

Any best practices when cutting out the floors? Do most people use a cutoff wheel, or nibbler, or something else? As you might be able to tell from the questions, I'm just an amateur at body work. Any help is appreciated. I'm also not trying to make a show truck, mostly using this as an experience to pick up some new skills.

The main reason I am asking is because Exline has a 15 week lead time, so if there's a chance the cab brackets will get destroyed when I cut out the floor pan, I want to make sure to add them to my order now. My cab mounts are in good condition, there is only rust on the floor pans.

Thanks,
Allen

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Question about cutting out floor pans

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

They're all welded to the cab. Nothing is separate.
Sawzall cuts out floors easily w/o heating the metal. Spotweld cutter is very good, but tedious as hell! Cutoff disks in die grinder work, but do heat the metal and may cause some warping.

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

when I replaced my floor pans, I used a cut off wheel. the pans are not welded to the front mounts, make sure you protect the wires leading back to the rear lights. I didn't, and cut right through them. also make sure you remove the front bolts from the pan, also I supported the cab in front before cutting the pans to keep the cab in the right position. good luck!
ozzie

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I used an air chisel to cut it out.
Attachments
air chisel.jpg
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

I wasn't sure if the floor pan was welded to the cab bracket right below them, because they were rusted away. I drilled 4-6 holes and spot welded the new floor pans to the cab bracket right below them. I figured it couldn't hurt anything.
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans