Tube grill, maybe

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Tube grill, maybe

Post by WD »

My 69 bright grill is ready for the scrap bin. Bent, torn, mangled mess. I’d just swap in a 68/9 painted grill, but shipping is ridiculous.

So... seriously considering making a tube grill for it. Square or round bars? Painted or polished stainless? Pipe instead of tube, since pipe is a lot stronger than conduit? Solid rod stock would be too heavy... :thinking

I know, I know “fix the stocker”... nope, all that time and effort needs to be used elsewhere. I have 4 full size trucks to finish. One being my late father-in-law’s 85 C10 going to my stepson and his boys. Which is already getting a custom tube grill and hood pins with l.e.d. run/turn lights.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Tube grill, maybe

Post by Jims68 »

"IF" I were to build a grill I would go with ROUND tubing. Square wouldn't look right on our Sweptlines. Of course, it can be all subjective anyway, but that is what I would use. Then, either paint it the same color as the body/truck, OR have it powdercoated in Silver. From what I've seen with powdercoated Silver it looks like silver paint and not chrome, however it does look NICE. Having the tubing chromed could be more money than you think :thinking . Just my thoughts :2cents .
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

I even sanded/painted the chrome Warlock/L’il Red sourced wheels already. Flat blacked the chrome on a less than 12k mile motorcycle. I absolutely thoroughly despise chrome.

The 69 is a junker. So any mods won’t hurt it. Would have scrapped years ago, but wife won’t let it go. Still the only long bed in our fleet other than a 1984 C60.

I’m done farming. The weather changes in SW TN have basically turned our orchard off. We’re looking at heading further east, better climate and no Memphis an hour away. Plus a whole lot more to do on days off. Car/truck/motorcycle related w/o the high crime seen around here.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Supposed to be buying a 56 Chevy Delray, but my friend had another stroke 2wks ago and is still in the hospital. Truck is getting built as a somewhat period correct (early 70s) support vehicle.

Figure I’ll keep going on the trucks, and when my friend gets out of the hospital, haul him and his 36 Dodge sedan to cruise nights until Lisa and I move.

It’s just funny colored paper...

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Good luck on ALL your projects AND to your friend that had the stroke. Best wishes to you buying the '56 and going "West".
Jim

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

“West”...? Furthest west I ever want to go again is northern Arkansas...

Looking at within 2hrs of Bristol, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Knoxville. Close enough that we can go to events, yet far enough away that we are left in peace. But stay in TN, no state income tax.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

AHHH.... Now I get it... west, but not out of the TN state! :lol: I live in NJ and "IF" I moved west, I'd be in Pennsylvania... eh, no thanks! :lol:
Jim

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Gotten so bad in the Memphis metro area that one of my friends moved back to Jersey. She said that it was a lot safer.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

WD wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 am
Gotten so bad in the Memphis metro area that one of my friends moved back to Jersey. She said that it was a lot safer.
I suppose it's like any other state... good areas and very bad areas! What town in NJ? Just wondering. I live in what we call "South Jersey". We don't say "Joisey" either. That is the NY accent that leaked down into North Jersey. It's a different state up there altogether. However.... we DO say Wooder... rather than water. :lol: I never noticed it before until I saw an episode on "The Goldbergs" when they were saying "Wooder Ice" and a friend of Ericas didn't know what they were talking about! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoldbergsAB ... 820802922/
Jim

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

1/2” metal conduit works okay. Just don’t put ANY pressure on it, folds up easy.

May try to straighten the stock grill, can’t hurt it, only fit for the melt pile.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

WD wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am
1/2” metal conduit works okay. Just don’t put ANY pressure on it, folds up easy.

May try to straighten the stock grill, can’t hurt it, only fit for the melt pile.
Yep... can't hurt. You can always add a bit of body filler here and there, and then paint it.
Jim

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Bright grill is brittle. Have to anneal it (can aluminum be annealed) to do any reshaping.

Have stainless steel on the way just in case. Good friend is an FAA and USCG certified welder. Swears he can duplicate the stock ends and headlight surrounds. Flanged, removable tube grill center section.