Good source for door glass

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Good source for door glass

Post by DukePW »

Where is a good source for tempered door glass?
I got a quote from a local glass shop for about 230 US for just the 2 roll-down windows, tempered.
Thanks

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Good source for door glass

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

U want new glass, or used?
New at a glass shop involves a lot of labor to cut the shapes, polish the edges then send it out for tempering.
I've got more than 50 used ones in my parts piles. They are the same both sides.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I didn't know they could "CUT" Tempered glass.... I would go with nice used glass myself.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

bentaxle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: abingdon
State: VA

Post by bentaxle »

Look up Auto City Classic on the web, they have door glass for $50 each. That's where I got all my glass and it looked great and went in with no problems,

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Jims68 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 am
I didn't know they could "CUT" Tempered glass.... I would go with nice used glass myself.
Jim, tempered glass CANNOT be cut. Regular glass has to be cut to the shape and size needed, then it is sent out to be tempered. That's the normal, universal process for replacing all tempered glass such as patio doors, door glass, storefront glass and any window within 18" of the ground or floor.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

Looking for new. Correct, they cut the glass first, then temper it and the quote included that. I'll check the site out, thanks

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:32 am
Jims68 wrote:
Jim, tempered glass CANNOT be cut. Regular glass has to be cut to the shape and size needed, then it is sent out to be tempered. That's the normal, universal process for replacing all tempered glass such as patio doors, door glass, storefront glass and any window within 18" of the ground or floor.
How about that! I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday! :salut

I "thought" that glass was "made" tempered and you couldn't get a "new" piece anymore. What do ya know! :lol:
Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 am

I "thought" that glass was "made" tempered and you couldn't get a "new" piece anymore. What do ya know! :lol:
Jim,
Do you know the difference between Even Tempered and Hot Tempered glass? ..... :thinking :joker

John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 am
Jims68 wrote:

John
Well... I think that I'm even tempered :lol: ! I try and keep my cool, even when I smashed my finger (Hammer time) building our new deck. My eyes got misty though!! :pale
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hobcobble wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 am
Jims68 wrote:

Jim,
Do you know the difference between Even Tempered and Hot Tempered glass? ..... :thinking :joker

John
Even Tempered women are better than Hot Tempered!

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

**Update**

When I got the new glass I sized them up against the original glass and I noticed that the new glass came up a little shorter on the back curved edge. I was skeptical but thought maybe it didn't need to be that long and it will still fit.
Fast forward to last weekend...I put the upper door frame on, scratching the heck out of everything of course, only to realize the back edge of the glass stops just shy of entering the upper door frame channel when the glass is fully rolled up. There doesn't seem to be anything to adjust to make it fit in the channel. I rechecked all my door glass and none of them are in good enough shape to put in a frame off resto. Once again this project has ground down to a halt and to say I am mad is an understatement. Also not impressed the the fitment of the vent window and weatherstrip. Between work and family and these issues I'd say my motivation is at an all time low, not sure what I want to do now. Rant over.

Just a cautionary tale for you guys, I wouldn't by glass from these guys. I forget the brand of the glass , PK diamond maybe?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

The original door glass on my '67 was laminated. ( pretty sure all/most were back then).Took the cracked drivers side glass to my local glass company and they made an exact copy in tempered.$118. Perfect fit. :Thumbsup
Note: Patience is golden. Did this on my '68 Adventurer a few years ago in a rush. Got the glass in and functioning properly. Installing the new cat whiskers is difficult with glass in place but needs to be done as a last step. Made the mistake of using a flat head screw driver to secure the last whisker clip and nicked the top of the glass. Needless to say, it exploded in the door. :pale :shame . Took extra time the second time around. :lol:
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

velvet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: goleta
State: CA

Post by velvet »

i just bought a '69 A100 off a guy who restores old trucks. the ws is cracked, not bad- and he said he uses this guy ALL the time for flat glass. He has all the factory demensions on hand, tell him what you got, hell cut it for you.. bob's classic auto glass shop, 1800-624-2130. 541-925-3260

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Jims68 wrote:

They cant cut tempered glass. Its cut and shaped first, Then sent for tempering.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

Called classic auto glass and there's nothing they do for me 'it's within tolerance' they say. I called Bob and asked that what ever he has, not to give me PMK glass. He was glad I told him because that's probably what he would gave me.
He has been looking at his patterns to get me some laminated door glass made at his various warehouses but no dice yet. At the risk of annoying him I may call again to see how he made out in his search.

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Post by reallylongnickname »

Auto city glass is Chinese glass. The professional who installed my glass, wasn't impressed with the quality.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

Welp, its time to eat a big ol piece of humble pie. Nothing was wrong with auto city glass I just want to clear that up.

The problem was the installer yours truly. I had to adjust the bottom metal channel forward which brought the glass backwards a hair and everything fit fine. Funny I wasn't having to fight installing everything after that adjustment like I did the first time :banghead anyways maybe this will help a newbie some day.