Bed Mount Angle

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Bed Mount Angle

Post by Dale »

Hey guys ! John here. So on my 71 W100 I have the long Sweptside bed. There are 8 wood mounts total. I have since successfully made the first 4 mounts from the front of the bed towards the back. I went with some good old hardwood from a pallet I got free from work. I’m now researching on how to first come up with an accurate measurement of the wood mounts that would be the 3rd set back from the front of the bed. They are located slightly before top- center of the rear wheels on the location of the frame area that begins a slight gradual incline. Can anybody help me find that degree of angle so I can save myself a few less experimental pieces of wood? I’m guessing I need to get a hold of a protractor. I’ve gathered a lot of information thus far from this site going way back in time as well. Thank you . John
1971 Dodge W100

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Bed Mount Angle

Post by Conrad »

Dale wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm
Can anybody help me find that degree of angle so I can save myself a few less experimental pieces of wood? I’m guessing I need to get a hold of a protractor. I’ve gathered a lot of information thus far from this site going way back in time as well. Thank you . John
This is a puzzler. I haven't found any specific measurements of that part. I found something called 'moldable plastic' on Amazon that you could use to mock up a piece and use as a guide when it hardens?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

You can use a piece of cardboard with the top edge against the bed and against the side of the frame to scribe a line along the top edge of the frame. You can make a mock up with cardboard. You can measure the distance from the bed to the 2 points on the frame where the block would rest, etc, etc, etc. Lotta ways to do it. Just think! :idea

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Hey, thank you for the help! I do believe we can figure something out about these bed mounts. I had just realized the bed is sitting a touch higher than the back of the cab, so I'll have to correct this first. Once I have the bed sitting good, I can get back into the cab where I'm still cutting out old floorboard and preparing for cutting the new pans from Kenny. I'm really pushing to at least get them welded in this year, and so engine stuff during the fall/winter.

I cannot wait to get this on the road, in nice weather only!

John

1971 Dodge W100

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

UPDATE !

Figured out I was going about the approach of aligning the bed height, and bed body lines to my cab of my '71 W100. I must have walked around the bed all afternoon, and countless times in the garage until I figured out I needed the truck to be outside where I had enough space to walk away a distance to observe what's going on. So, I got a handle on my project. I achieved what was needed by only using the front two wood mounts closest to the cab, and the last two mounts closest to the rear bumper. I did have to enlarge one of the rear frame mount i.d a little for the new 7/16" bed mount bolts. So I'm set! Further, I found here the measurements for the bed angle support blocks, though they may vary a little. MAN, what a difference I have made with this truck! Just how I fixed the sagging cab that in my opinion did not justify a cut out, and how the W100 is coming along sitting pretty!
1971 Dodge W100

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

That's good news. Its always satisfying to work through a problem
and arrive at a solution. :clap :Thumbsup

John

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thanks! Its not perfect, but much better than when it was delivered to my home.
1971 Dodge W100