Tailgate Trouble

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dbolterII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitol
State: MN

Tailgate Trouble

Post by dbolterII »

Not quite sure what I got going on yet, but 1971 d~100 FSM not much help....
The piece in my tailgate that holds the bracket {basically what replaced the chains on the older swepty tailgates hold them up} has fallen out of the tailgate
so the two piece hinging arm that holds the tailgate "up" and takes the weight when the tailgate is down where that attaches to the tailgate has failed.
sorry this is hard to describe and nothing in my 69~71 FSM to call the parts their correct name...
it is a round plug in the tailgate itself that has popped out and the other side is right behind it about to come out too....
not sure if these are welded in or bolted or serviceable?/? any help advice appreciated.... Thanks ~d

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Tailgate Trouble

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

They are welded to the sheetmetal. It is a design flaw that is very weak and it is common failure. They need to be re-welded back in.

dbolterII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitol
State: MN

Post by dbolterII »

Thx For the reply PWD... I am not a master fabricator, but I do own a welder...any tips appreciated before I tag my stock goods back down...

anybody else dealt with/ resolved this weak point?/? I searched the forum and didn't see much... The trucks re~paint {20 years ago} is still pretty decent so it will be a bit of a bummer to cook that but, I am function over fashion ... thx ~d

BleuTank
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pinole
State: CA

Post by BleuTank »

I've had this same problem. I've used generic "cable" style tailgate links, the original flat hinges were found under the seat. Cables work well, but eventually I'd like to have the welding done. And make it original.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Cut the stock parts out. Graft in a later model version cut out of a scrap tailgate.

Other option is to track down a good tailgate. My 69’s original tailgate is junk. Good letter panel, the rest is pure dents and/or tears.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...