rust hole in cab mount

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
rich006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Annapolis
State: MD

rust hole in cab mount

Post by rich006 »

I'm shopping for my first truck and I've found a 1970 D100 with the right "feel." The seller says it has a thumb-sized hole in one cab mount that he thinks could be patched with a 2" by 1" piece of metal. First of all, does that sound realistic? Second, what's involved in patching a cab mount? Would I have to lift up the cab? How do you do that? I'm waiting for a picture before I go look in person. Any other comments on a truck like this? Here are some pics for fun.

stumblinhorse
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elbert County
State: CO

Re: rust hole in cab mount

Post by stumblinhorse »

Pretty normal fix. I replaced the cab mount on the Passenger side and the entire floor on the driver side. All the pieces to fix this are available from Kenny Exline. If you are looking for full restoration, then removing the cab is a good idea to replace all the pieces of the support and mount. They are most likely damaged as well. See all the parts here. http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/custom-services.html

But if the truck is supposed to be restored already and you are paying as if it is restored, you need pictures of the supports and floors to see how much rust is there. Because it is possible to just replace the floor and make it look like it is fully repaired which it may not be. You can see that the trim line from the cab is lower where it meets the bed, that is a tell tale sign that the cab mounts, rubber isolators and/or supports are suspect.
1969 D100 LWB 318 np435
2001 2500 SWB 5.9 Cummins nv5600
2016 3500 SWB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

stumblinhorse wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:21 pm
All the pieces to fix this are available from Kenny Exline. See all the parts here. http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/custom-services.html
+1 for Kenny.

I'd give a harder look at that driver's side door too. Doors are usually the first thing to go.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

rich006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Annapolis
State: MD

Post by rich006 »

Thanks for pointing out the misalignment between the cab and the bed. I did notice the rust in the door corner, but my thought is that a door should be easier to patch than a cab mount. I'm pretty sure I can handle areas that are easy to access, but removing a cab is probably more than I want to take on.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Being in a place like Maryland will be difficult to find a truck that doesn't need rust repair. A large portion of these trucks have the front cab mount rust due to the poor design that allows water to pool in the divot. That includes trucks that spent their lives in a areas where rust usually isn't a big concern.

That truck has an older bed on it and there will be mounting holes under the trim.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:55 pm

+1 for Kenny.

I'd give a harder look at that driver's side door too. Doors are usually the first thing to go.
After the floors.... :lol:
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489