Door Adjustment

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Door Adjustment

Post by earlymopar »

The driver's side door on my 64 series I has felt like it was dragging between the cab latch and the star wheel on the door. I sprayed the star wheel lightly with silicone lube and while the door now closes easily, the door doesn't stay latched (in the 2nd or fully closed of the 2 latch positions). Not having messed with the door latch mechanism before, just curious if the symptom I mentioned is typically a star wheel issue as mine does look a bit worn. I don't see adjustments in the door wheel mechanism although I realize the door can be adjusted at the hinges (fore and aft as well as in & out to some degree). I also see that the cab latch could be bent as needed for some adjustment there.

I've not spent anytime on corrections as I was working on another detail at the time this cropped up. It would be good to know how others have addressed similar symptoms.

- EM

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Door Adjustment

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Star wheels wear, but even worse the door hinge pins wear and the door drops down at the latch end. This causes the latch to drag across the top of the strike. You can feel the extent of the hinge pin wear by lifting up on the door while it is open. Temporarily you can try to adjust the hinge bolts inside the door to lift it back up. Look for alignment along the body sweptline at the door/cab.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

I should have mentioned that the original owner that I bought my truck from had the door open WHILE backing up and then hit something with the door that jambed it forward into the hinge. That surely didn't help. As a result, I have an excess in the gap at the rear of the door and almost none at the front. But, I'll check the hinge pin wear as I did have a burr on the front edge of the latch on the cab.

I'm also giving thought to investment casting a small batch of the star wheels.

- EM

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

earlymopar wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 pm

- EM
Powerwagonjohn already has them available.

John Geidl 651 653 0147 or cjlapham44@gmail.com

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

Thanks much. I'll be sure to contact him.

- EM

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

earlymopar wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 pm
I should have mentioned that the original owner that I bought my truck from had the door open WHILE backing up and then hit something with the door that jambed it forward into the hinge. That surely didn't help. As a result, I have an excess in the gap at the rear of the door and almost none at the front. But, I'll check the hinge pin wear as I did have a burr on the front edge of the latch on the cab.

- EM
Rebuilding an early door latch is a daunting task. John Geidl rebuilds those.FYI. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

Thanks for the heads up on these sources.

- EM