Covercraft fitted cover

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Covercraft fitted cover

Post by Conrad »

Just wanted to post my feedback/findings on the Covercraft fitted cover that I bought.

I was tired of my 'generic' cover flying away on me. In my area of Texas, we get the Southwest desert winds from Mexico - sometimes very gusty. i had resorted to using clips to hold it on, but that ended up just tearing the cover eventually. I looked around at reviews and settled on the Covercraft mid-grade custom-fit cover. It's not surprising that with the way things are these days, a domestic custom-made product can be very expensive - so I tried to stay around the $150 mark for something that would last at least a couple of years outdoors. I ended up paying $162.

It seems that the shape is probably cut for the '72 and later pickup vs. the sweptline, but I don't have a way of proving that. The cab is cut about 4 inches too high, and the sill is about 4 inches to short, though the front and rear fit well. I did not pay for the extra mirror pockets, but that would have helped ease the stress on the cab section. Will see how it holds up, but so far it is an 'ok' value even with the shortcomings. I plan to provide feedback on the fit.

It's not blowing away any time soon, that's for sure.

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Re: Covercraft fitted cover

Post by hmaynord »

that looks nice.

I didn't have any cover when we lived in austin or dallas, but I went thru a number of the generics in st. louis and then down here, before the garage. My first cover was after receiving an anonymous note, telling us to get the truck off of the driveway, because it was an "eyesore to the entire neighborhood." briefly thought about taking the wheels off and putting it on cinder blocks, with a sign: "it could be worse." but wife convinced me to just buy a cover.

main problem was keeping the water from collecting over the bed. i ended up c-clamping 1/4" plywood to the back half or so, and built a crude set of 2x4 "shoulders" to stick up from the front part of the bed, to maintain the slope from the back of the cab down to the plywood. and folded up cardboard to blunt the sharp corners of the back bumper. and then big c-clamps holding the cover to the rear bumper, with something between the clamp and the cover to give more surface area, to keep it from tearing.
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71

61stepside
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal
State: CA

Post by 61stepside »

I had Covercraft make a custom sized one for my 68 SWB

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

hmaynord wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 am
briefly thought about taking the wheels off and putting it on cinder blocks, with a sign: "it could be worse." but wife convinced me to just buy a cover.
Now that is constructive thinking. :Thumbsup :Thumbsup It would have been fun
just to watch neighbor's reactions.... :lol: :clap

John

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

61stepside wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:10 pm
I had Covercraft make a custom sized one for my 68 SWB
I guess that's the way to go - but I didn't want to pay $500 for a cover. A custom-fit Carhart cover would be nice though.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas

Post by HellBelly »

Found this post searching.

Anybody else have any other options to share on truck covers? Links anything

1968 LWB D100
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

I will say again that if you can, get the mirror pockets wherever you get your cover. They look goofy and are an added expense, but I'm sure the cover would fit better with them.

The Covercraft cover got through the first winter well, a tropical storm in the Fall and a number of storms this Spring. I like the 'lighter weight' fabric as it is fairly easy to put on on and stays on in very windy conditions. Seems to be stain resistant (for now). I've used it for sun protection working in the engine bay and on the spindles this past weekend. We may get severe weather tomorrow (possible hail) so I will be putting entry way mats on top of the truck cover though to minimize any damage should we get that. (Unfortunately my son's car project is under the carport.)
Last edited by Conrad on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas

Post by HellBelly »

Thanks Terry, I searched the the Covercraft site but I'm only seeing covers for like $400.00. Where did you find the $160 version?
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

We all thank Terry. :Thumbsup :lol:

First I signed up for the discount. Looks like they current have 10% off and free shipping. Not sure the discount is on all covers, but appears to be. I bought Custom Block-It 200 Car Cover Part #: C1712SG Price: $162.90 (for me, now $168.30).

If you search by vehicle, and then you have to click on 'show more' or something like that. Otherwise as you said they give you the more expensive options first.