Town Wagon, cowl vent functionality question.

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Town Wagon, cowl vent functionality question.

Post by Cris »

Howdy, on my wife's 63 townie, we're unable to get the cowl vent between the wiper arms to open.
Knob doesn't move but I'm not putting my foot on the dash for leverage either. :)

What should my course of action be.? Going to assume it involves laying on my back staring up at the underdash area
and graphite powder...? Should she be tugging up on the vent itself prying it up from outside while I'm tugging (gently~)
on the knob.?

It was 105* this last Thursday here in Colorado, more airflow would certainly help out, even if it is 'hotter than Hell' air.

Thanks in advance,

Cris
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud

Re: Town Wagon, cowl vent functionality question. Now we have vent knob questions.

Post by Cris »

Well success has been achieved with minimal efforts. Taped off the cowl area and gently pried with a screwdriver
while she pulled on the knob and BINGO, it popped right open. Lubed up the hinge points in the cowl area and under the
dash where there's a like 90* thingey which we lubed up as well. Now opens and closes with ease. Don't know if it's really worth disconnecting the cable from the sheathing and applying graphite powder to the inside of the sheath.

Now, the knob marked V for Vent I assume, has been disconnected since we owned the truck. Seems like the logical place for it to hook up to going by the way it's laid out across the under dash area is that it goes to the heater box flapper arm knob thing.? This opens the under-hood vent if another knob is pulled. Where else could this cable attached to make it do something 'good'.?.?

Also, where can a person buy 4 inch tubing that doesn't look like Home Depot dryer tubing.? I've got a little air-scoop thing made out of fiberglass under the rad' support (that looks like it was factory built and a couple brackets that support the tubing to where it would attach to the heater core air inlet....
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

slz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucson
State: AZ

Re: Town Wagon, cowl vent functionality question.

Post by slz »

I got my duct hose at CLASSIC CHEVROLET PARTS
part number B-9260-400

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita

Re: Town Wagon, cowl vent functionality question.

Post by maxmac »

Chris,
I'm getting my Town Wagon back from the shop this week and can help provide some context to the issue you're trying to solve... I'm also in Golden, CO so if needed, we can meet up and draw an in-person comparison to what's out of whack on your truck! PM me for contact info.