Bruce Horkey Rear Bumper

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Bruce Horkey Rear Bumper

Post by Hardcase »

Has anyone tried Bruce Horkey's rear bumper on a Utiline? http://horkeyswoodandparts.com/page36.php (scroll to the bottom)

It's designed for a frame 40.125", but I think that a spacer can make up the extra inch on each side. I have a receiver hitch on my '61 short bed utiline and it looks a little odd hanging down there with no bumper. The "original" dealer installed steel behemoth went off to the recyclers a long time ago.Image

Imagine a big black wart under the license plate. :lol:

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Bruce Horkey Rear Bumper

Post by dodgeboykim »

Frame width for Horkney brackets may be an issue for the sweptline frame. Could always make your own brackets. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 pm
Frame width for Horkney brackets may be an issue for the sweptline frame. Could always make your own brackets. :thinking
Yes, it's a couple of inches wider than the sweptline frame, but that's OK - I can add a couple of spacers to make it fit. I'm just wondering in terms of appearance if anybody has gone that route. It's a $400 assembly for the chrome bumper and hardware and I just wonder if I'm the first one to do it.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

You might also look at LMC. I bought a an off-brand (painted) rear bumper from them for my Utiline. Great quality and price ($100) and I like it far better than the OEM style or design.

- EM

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

earlymopar wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:51 am
You might also look at LMC. I bought a an off-brand (painted) rear bumper from them for my Utiline. Great quality and price ($100) and I like it far better than the OEM style or design.

- EM
Do you remember which bumper you bought?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

Yes, the Chevy bumper shown below given that the factory Utiline bumper is (IMO) too small and doesn't cover the open end of the box and frame very well. I also like the style of the Chevy bumper but to each his own.

- EM
Attachments
Re-sized #902a.JPG

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

earlymopar wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 am
Yes, the Chevy bumper shown below given that the factory Utiline bumper is (IMO) too small and doesn't cover the open end of the box and frame very well. I also like the style of the Chevy bumper but to each his own.

- EM
That looks nice! Did you also buy the mounting brackets? How did you manage the difference in the frame rail dimensions? I think that the Chevy frame is wider by a few inches.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

Thank you. I think so too.

I made my own brackets so was able to accommodate the difference in frame widths and the fore and aft position easily. It isn't difficult but just takes a little time. I would imagine that LMC or others have the Chevy brackets available so then all you would need to add are spacers and possibly drilling new mounting holes.

- EM