67 Camper special - what is this next to the brake booster?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Toledo
State: OH

67 Camper special - what is this next to the brake booster?

Post by dsd1967 »

I just bought a 67 camper special that has a decent amount of options including power brakes and power steering. On the firewall just to the right of the brake booster (as you are facing the firewall) there is this unit that I have no idea what it is. At first I thought it was something like cruise control, but there are no cables leading to the carb. Any ideas what this would be? It appears to be factory installed.
Attachments
D200 unknown component.JPG

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Re: 67 Camper special - what is this next to the brake boost

Post by thehemikid »

The guy's on this site that eat breath & sleep with these trucks :lol: will know better than I,... But I'm not doing anything important at the moment anyway... :idea :joker

Does resemble a cruise control to me also for what little I know of them. Have you run down that cable coming out the front to see where it goes to under the dash? Maybe it used to come back through the firewall on the motor side of the booster and has been pulled back to where it's just dangling under the dash. Or maybe it was/is once attached to the bell crank of the gas peddle linkage up under the dash? idk, just throwing some guesses out there. "Inquiring minds want to know" :thinking :study

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

I haven't done much other than trailer it home on Tuesday....it's been too cold to go out there and mess with it. I've been doing internet searches in the warmth of my home to no avail yet. Something will turn up one way or another in a matter of time. Crawling under the dash was my next avenue as soon as the weather cooperates. Whoever had this truck before put a lot of extra switches and gadgets on it that I have to figure out along with this "mystery" item.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

vacuum assist clutch?

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

It's an automatic transmission truck. There is a vacuum gauge mounted in the cab, but this seems awful fancy just for a vacuum gauge.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Trailer brake? :thinking :thinking

John

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Well I don't know what it is but I want one.

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Post by thehemikid »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

My guess is cruise control,But without seeing more pictures and owner tracing wires etc its just a guess. :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

Based on what I've been able to find through internet searches, I'm leaning toward cruise control also. I'm used to seeing the cable coming out of the front leading to a bracket on the intake manifold and hooking to the carb. It may go back under the dash and hook to the gas pedal cable somehow. I'm not concerned enough to go look vs. the weather outlook this coming week. If we get some sunny days in the 30's I'll crawl around and do some tracing and see if I can get some identifying part numbers.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I think that is a part of a vacuum brake control unit system. I have a lever control for one of those that mounts to the dash. cool looking thing with a gauge on it

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

Kaegi....it sounds plausible. So what would that do for the brakes? Does it help modulate braking effort based on load/trailer tow? In my searches, I've seen other power brake trucks but none with this unit.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

dsd1967 wrote:Kaegi....it sounds plausible. So what would that do for the brakes? Does it help modulate braking effort based on load/trailer tow? In my searches, I've seen other power brake trucks but none with this unit.
Kaegi wrote:I think that is a part of a vacuum brake control unit system. I have a lever control for one of those that mounts to the dash. cool looking thing with a gauge on it

Trailer brakes for some had a vacuum over hydraulic system many years ago. Maybe it was a trailer control. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.