Stainless hardware against new paint

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Stainless hardware against new paint

Post by DukePW »

The time has come....
All the parts for my ute bed have been painted and the boards are all varnished up. I have buddies coming over at the end of the month to help assemble and lift the bed onto the truck. Here's what I"m worried about....
I have polished stainless steel hardware to bolt all the newly painted bed parts together, I'm worried about wrecking the paint when I go to tighten the hardware against the painted surface. Should I even worry about something happening? Everyone I asked that I know doesn't really have an answer. I ordered some plastic washers (not in yet) just a little smaller then the stainless flat washers, not sure if they'll be thin enough so they are not noticable though. I might use these with a little bit of grease on them to avoid wrecking the paint also.
Anybody have any ideas on the subject???

jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Re: Stainless hardware against new paint

Post by jimharold »

If you can punch your own washers I have used plastic milk jugs for washer material. Very thin and almost free. I have a punch that fits a small 1/4"- 5/8" punch inside of the larger punch cutter. Inside and outside holes in one hammering. Good luck.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Re: Stainless hardware against new paint

Post by DukePW »

Hey that's not a bad idea. I have some punches I can borrow for this weekend, I might try that.
thanks