Outside Door Locks

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
61stepside
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal
State: CA

Outside Door Locks

Post by 61stepside »

Okay, I just noticed that my newly acquired 61 D100 doesn't have a door lock on the driver's side, only on the passenger side. My last D100 was a 68 and had door locks on both doors. Is this how the 61's came from the factory?

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Outside Door Locks

Post by powerwagon54 »

that is the way it came from the factory.

61stepside
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal
State: CA

Post by 61stepside »

WOW. Thanks powerwagon54. Just thought it was odd that the lock wasn't placed on the driver's side. As it is now one would have to lock the driver's door from the inside then slide over and exit the passenger side to lock the vehicle. Kinda makes you wonder what the engineers were thinking?

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

they were thinking everyone would exit on the curb side. 61 was the only year that they did it. Guess they figured it out.

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

when I was a kid in Chicago in the 50's I was told it was against the law to exit a vehicle from the drivers side if it was parked on a major street. I don't know how true it was, but if I didn't exit on the passenger ide I caught hell from my parents.
ozzie

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

61stepside wrote:Okay, I just noticed that my newly acquired 61 D100 doesn't have a door lock on the driver's side, only on the passenger side. My last D100 was a 68 and had door locks on both doors. Is this how the 61's came from the factory?

Wonder if its possible to install a lock. I had a 61 Ford Econoline many many moons ago and it did not have a drivers door lock. I made a template using pass door and fitted a hole into drivers door and installed a drivers lock. Worked great way back when I was 17 and had limited knowledge. :clap :dance
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GMAN69 »

My 69 d100 drivers side lock was broken and missing parts, I got tired of crawling over seat to lock and unlock door. Found electric door locks on Amazon easy install work great. Mine were $60 but I have seen them cheaper.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

I thought that was a neat feature of my '61. One less thing to break. :lol: :joker
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

GMAN69 wrote:My 69 d100 drivers side lock was broken and missing parts, I got tired of crawling over seat to lock and unlock door. Found electric door locks on Amazon easy install work great. Mine were $60 but I have seen them cheaper.
I'd like to know how that works. I was thinking of doing this as well, but damn its hard to get my hand in that door interior. Did you remove the window frame/regulator to get enough room to work in there? How did you get it mounted?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Conrad wrote:
GMAN69 wrote:My 69 d100 drivers side lock was broken and missing parts, I got tired of crawling over seat to lock and unlock door. Found electric door locks on Amazon easy install work great. Mine were $60 but I have seen them cheaper.
I'd like to know how that works. I was thinking of doing this as well, but damn its hard to get my hand in that door interior. Did you remove the window frame/regulator to get enough room to work in there? How did you get it mounted?

61 and 69 door latch assembly's are not the same. 68 through 71 have a button to push down that actuator can hook to. 61 through 67 use door handle that you pull to open or push to lock door from inside.Different mechanical operation. Not saying it wont work , But door handle has a spring in it to keep handle from going to lock position. Solenoid may not have enough power to do that. Hot rod Bear Claw latch upgrade may be in order. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Conrad wrote:

61 and 69 door latch assembly's are not the same. 68 through 71 have a button to push down that actuator can hook to. 61 through 67 use door handle that you pull to open or push to lock door from inside.Different mechanical operation. Not saying it wont work , But door handle has a spring in it to keep handle from going to lock position. Solenoid may not have enough power to do that. Hot rod Bear Claw latch upgrade may be in order. :thinking :thinking
The door striker mechanism changed for the '67 model year, although the earlier handles remained in use for '67.
[U.S. trucks]
John :study