Body molding clips?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
GEORGIASWEPT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Maysville
State: GA

Body molding clips?

Post by GEORGIASWEPT »

Can new clips/retainers be bought for a "71 with the upper/lower trim?

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Body molding clips?

Post by cudaboy »

Im not aware of any, BUT, with the new 3D printers, I wonder if they can be reproduced on an "as needed" order basis?
That might be a money making opportunity for someone more tech savy than myself. Taking obsolete, unreproduced small parts, and doing them.
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome

Post by MadMC63 »

I was watching an old episode of Counting Cars and they made rear tail light lenses for and old Chrysler with a 3D printer. The guy making them said they would be exact down to the part numbers. Cool stuff!
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

I saw that too. I believe they ended up not going with that option, which is a shame, because we could have learned more. It's my understanding that you can purchase these printers for home use now, at reasonable prices.
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

How does the "printer" know how flexible to make the tabs so that they bend to allow installation, then spring back to hold the molding on? In the case of the lens, how the hell does it make it clear and red?
A plaster cast of a lens would look exact, but not be functional. 3D "printing" (which is a stupid term for fabicating a product) is overrated bullshit!
"Print" an apple pie and tell me how tasty and nutritious it is!

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome

Post by MadMC63 »

I believe the flexibility would be based on the materials not the process. If I were restoring a vehicle to concours exacting standards I wouldn't even consider such a process but on an every day driver why not. If it looks and functions the same way I'd much rather pay $55.00 for taillight lenses as opposed to $175.00. Or $2.50 per clip as apposed to $25.00. Folks who deal with automobiles that have long since exhausted the supply of N.O.S. parts and the aftermarket has neglected (pre 1900) now have a source. Jay Leno has been using this technology for years to reproduce mechanical parts for his collection with great success. There are YouTube videos of guns being produced and test fired that prove the tech's worth. Tech, 3D Printers, capable of making parts to withstanding the forces involved in an internal combustion engine are however not truly affordable to the average income home. That tech is still in the $50.000 and up price range.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?