Headliner question

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
martin1953
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: carlisle
State: PA

Headliner question

Post by martin1953 »

I have a question regarding the headliner in my 66 W300: I have chosen a material to use for the headliner but I am in question as to what to use as a backing that will go against the roof metal? I was thinking about using a glue like liquid nails for the material to some kind of backing.

Has anyone tried something that works well and is flexiable enough to be worked up into place in the roof area?

Thank you,

Bill

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: Headliner question

Post by my5thmopar »

Use a good quality headliner adhesive like 3M. I would use some insulating backing. I've used the Reflectix 100-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation on a few projects. Craig

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

martin1953 wrote:I have a question regarding the headliner in my 66 W300: I have chosen a material to use for the headliner but I am in question as to what to use as a backing that will go against the roof metal? I was thinking about using a glue like liquid nails for the material to some kind of backing.

Has anyone tried something that works well and is flexible enough to be worked up into place in the roof area?

Thank you,

Bill
Bill, I have a "How To" section on replacing your headliner on the CD that you bought from me. Check it out. Open the CD and find #03 Photo history (WITH TEXT), then go to folder ##36 Headliner and you will see it. The "Jute" I used was a Heat Barrier and Sound Deadening Mat from Summit Racing. I can't remember what the original name of it was now, but it came in a roll and I "think" it is the BLIP12406. I am going to "GUESS" that the stuff Craig mentioned is close to what I used. I DO recommend using the 3M brand adhesive.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tru- ... /overview/

EDIT: I did write down the number of the Insulator Mat, I just found it in my Parts Store list (also found on the CD in the #05 Dodge Truck Notes folder). The Tru-blip12406 IS the stuff I used on my headliner AND the firewall.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

67andOneHalfD200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: New Cuyama
State: CA

Post by 67andOneHalfD200 »

Just finished the headliner in my '67 D200.
Overly complicated and too much time spent thinking about what I wanted to achieve vs. cost. But this is what I did.
First, removed the CB antenna mount, screwed a patch & sealed a couple of other leaks in the roof with JB Weld.
Then scuffed the entire under side of the sheet metal with a 7" 80-grit disc sander. A couple of brushed coats of Rustoleum primer & a couple of coats of Rustoleum enamel.

Next, instead of the overly expensive Dynamat I used the 6"w x .059"t "Useal" rubberized asphalt from Home Depot. This took care of most of the heat that would radiate off the sheet metal & eliminated most of the booming noise at highway speed.
In triple-digit temperature days the asphalt measures up past 140 deg F. No it doesn't smell or melt at these temps.
Then I fabricated some frame spans from 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum channel, bent to follow the curve of the cab top & hooked (wedged and epoxy d) onto the edges of the inside sheet metal.
Also cut, curved & screwed 1/2"sq poplar inserts into the channels. And there is 1/4" poplar boards shoved between the inner sheet metal & the roof front & back to screw to also.

The cheapest insulation/sound deadening material I could come up with to fill the 5/8" of space was the "Ultra Touch" radiant barrier, special order from Home Depot.
It's basically a reinforced foil backed 3/8" of shredded Levis.
To create some air space between the two radiant barriers I used the 2"w x 1/8"t Frost King self adhesive pipe wrap insulation tape,that also has a radiant barrier.

The head liner material I got from Joann Fabrics is glued on to pegboard carefully cut to fit the head liner space in the cab. 800 holes were enlarged to 3/8" dia in each of the two sections. Glued on with head liner spray glue, also from Joann Fabrics.

The fabric covered boards are screwed on with #6 x 5/8"lg oval head washer sheet metal screws (McMaster-Carr) into the wood frames.

Just my idea of a head liner. I don't recommend anyone should try this.

Trying to attach some photos here but apparently I don't know what I'm doing.