Ute bed/Cab alignment

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Ute bed/Cab alignment

Post by DukePW »

Well I had the bed on the cab to line it up and mark and drill the holes for the wood and I noticed the lines on the cab don't match up with the top of the bed, the bed is higher then the cab line.
Now my5thmopar posted a similar problem and chimed up his cab mounts. But my rear cab mounts are NOS right out of the sealed mopar bag and they aren't sagging.
I've seen pics on the web and it seems some beds are level with the cab line and some are higher like mine(probably about 50/50). There are also a few beds that are angled down towards the cab, which makes me now wonder the reason for that is to line it up with the cab?
I only have a very small gap between the frame hump over the axle and the bed floor so I can't make the bed go any lower. I already have quite a bit of empty space in the wheel well already being a power wagon and the cab barely clears my garage door as it is so i'm not too eager to lift the cab either. I seem to be talking myself into leaving it as is but i'm open to suggestions, ideas, comments? I'm just not sure where the bed is supposed to be.
Thanks,
Scott
Attachments
bed_cab_line.jpg

vabchmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mesa
State: AZ

Re: Ute bed/Cab alignment

Post by vabchmopar »

I had the same problem with my 65 ute. The wood blocks for the bed have no adjustment in them. If you try to raise the wood block by adding shims to them then the step won't sit on the frame correctly. I added spacers to the rear cab bolts to raise the cab. Also when raising the rear of the cab loosen the front cab bolts to allow the cab to rotate without damaging the cab.

vabchmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vabchmopar »

here are some photos
Attachments
IMG_20150406_194027_891 (Small).jpg

vabchmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vabchmopar »

after
Attachments
DSCN0190 (Custom).jpg
DSCN0190 (Custom).jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 486 times

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Drill what holes for the wood? You mean the mounting bolts correct? Yours doesn't look that far off so, what is the difference? I would bold the bed down in the correct alignment because its going to move a slight amount. I couldn't live with the gap, so I just added rubber spaces to the back of the cab. Yours doesn't look far off so try it out and you can always move to what is correct with the eyes and forget rulers levels etc. :2cents Craig

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

The bed's about 1-1/8" higher then the cab.

@ my5thmopar, Yes i put the bed up on the frame to mock it up and to mark the 6 holes for the bolts that bolt to the frame. I've since drilled them and countersunk the washers, the bed is nice and square and level and all the bolts are in.
I noticed the previous owner notched the wood floor underneath where the frame kicks over the axle about 3/8", assuming that was to lower the bed further. Interesting but i'd never do that.

I'm still undecided, I may leave it. I just wonder how they were lined up from the factory?