Dash leak into cab

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lincoln
State: RI
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Dash leak into cab

Post by crashresq21 »

So started to rinse the truck off and puddle appears in the passenger side of the cab interior. Looks like a direct path from the cowl vent to the fan box. Anyone else have this problem and how do you cure it? Kinda has me thinking of going with spray bedliner flooring versus anything that could soak up water.
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Re: Dash leak into cab

Post by slick »

It could be as simple as a bad windshield gasket. If not, open the hood and check your drain holes for the cowl. Pop the hood and look at the firewall. Driver and passenger side will have oval holes above the fenders. These are the drains for the cowl. Unfortunately they get clogged and don't drain. Most likely this is what has happened and you probably have a rusted out cowl. Lay on your back and look above your heater box and above your parking brake. This is the usual rust area causing leakage in to the cab, then the floors rust from this leak etc....
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Post by crashresq21 »

Slick I cleaned out a TON of (apparently not enough) built up crap in the exact area while removing the cowling. Will do exactly as you said, hopefully fixes the issue. I'm actually building a cold air intake setup that goes into that area too so channelling the water out is a double concern now. Thanks for the advice :-)
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

My 68 was rusted out because someone siliconed the drains closed? Can't figure that one out, maybe they thought the water was coming in there. They do make replacement flaps that are supposed to be on there as well.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

This is what mine looked like. And it's an Arizona truck.

1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crashresq21 »

Yuck. Yeah I found crap too. I tried to find a true "drain" but when I flowed water it puked out that oval hole on each side. Might fab up an actual drain with hose when I remove the cowling again. Issue putting the wiper arms back on because of a stripped nut threat.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

crashresq21 wrote:Yuck. Yeah I found crap too. I tried to find a true "drain" but when I flowed water it puked out that oval hole on each side. Might fab up an actual drain with hose when I remove the cowling again. Issue putting the wiper arms back on because of a stripped nut threat.
That oval hole IS the true drain! When it rains, that's where it drains. Best to put a screen under the cowl cover to keep all the leaves and debris out. The rubber flap is merely to keep debris from the eng compartment out of the cowl. Basically its irrelevant.

don6061
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Millington
State: TN

Post by don6061 »

Does anyone have any recommendation on putting a cover on the cowl to keep water and debris out. Thanks.

Donnie

crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crashresq21 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
crashresq21 wrote:Yuck. Yeah I found crap too. I tried to find a true "drain" but when I flowed water it puked out that oval hole on each side. Might fab up an actual drain with hose when I remove the cowling again. Issue putting the wiper arms back on because of a stripped nut threat.
That oval hole IS the true drain! When it rains, that's where it drains. Best to put a screen under the cowl cover to keep all the leaves and debris out. The rubber flap is merely to keep debris from the eng compartment out of the cowl. Basically its irrelevant.
Now I got to find the rubber flap lol.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

don6061 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendation on putting a cover on the cowl to keep water and debris out. Thanks.

Donnie
U wont keep water out, but Ive seen aluminum window screen used under the cover.

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

crashresq21 wrote:
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Now I got to find the rubber flap lol.
Restoration Specialties has the oval rubber flap: Catalog page 104; part# FP5764. $9.00/ea
John
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

**NOT ALLOWED** has them too..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

slick wrote:**NOT ALLOWED** has them too..
**NOT ALLOWED**/61-71-int ... iping.html

NOT= easy-
ALLOWED = streetllc
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

Why isn't it allowed? I remember it coming up, but don't remember why? :goodpost
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

PowerPlus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Wayne
State: IN

Post by PowerPlus »

Also be sure to check the drip rails above the windows. I thought mine was leaking from the cowl but the caulking was shot in the drip rails. Good luck!!!

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

JohnB wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:42 pm
Restoration Specialties has the oval rubber flap: Catalog page 104; part# FP5764. $9.00/ea
John
Great catalog. The online version is not in text, so it's not searchable. I ran OCR on it if anybody is interested.
BTW, those flaps help keep the mice out too.
M
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St.Paul
State: MN

Post by mnwebb »

So does anyone have suggestions for fixing those common rusty areas next to the cab fresh air vents short of a total frame off restoration?

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm
JohnB wrote:
John
Great catalog. The online version is not in text, so it's not searchable. I ran OCR on it if anybody is interested.
M
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm
JohnB wrote:
John
M
Only if the mice don’t have teeth. The oval flap on mine has been chewed through by what could only be mice.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

mnwebb wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 pm
So does anyone have suggestions for fixing those common rusty areas next to the cab fresh air vents short of a total frame off restoration?
https://imageevent.com/jeffc/rust