Dash leak into cab

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Re: Dash leak into cab

Post by Red383 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:57 am
don6061 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendation on putting a cover on the cowl to keep water and debris out. Thanks.

Donnie
U wont keep water out, but I've seen aluminum window screen used under the cover.
I'm also interested in seeing how people attach a screen to the bottom of the cowl vents. I had mine all cleaned out and was just cleaning leaves out again this week. Damn trees!
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Red383 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:57 am
don6061 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendation on putting a cover on the cowl to keep water and debris out. Thanks.

Donnie
U wont keep water out, but I've seen aluminum window screen used under the cover.
I'm also interested in seeing how people attach a screen to the bottom of the cowl vents. I had mine all cleaned out and was just cleaning leaves out again this week. Damn trees!
I used stainless steel screen cut to fit under cowl cover held in place by it and screws. Wasn't hard.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

[/quote]Only if the mice don’t have teeth. The oval flap on mine has been chewed through by what could only be mice.[/quote]
Same problem here. They were nesting in the heater box. I put some 1/4" hardware cloth over the holes. Mice cant chew through it and it still drains fine.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

sweatybetty wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 pm
Only if the mice don’t have teeth. The oval flap on mine has been chewed through by what could only be mice.[/quote]
Same problem here. They were nesting in the heater box. I put some 1/4" hardware cloth over the holes. Mice cant chew through it and it still drains fine.
[/quote]

I haven’t checked the heater box yet but they have already been in the cowl to make nests. Best thing I have done so far is, I got a cat from the local farm! I put him in the garage one night per week. Same goes for the other garage The mice like to live here anymore.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

Isuzustorm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Thunder Bay

Post by Isuzustorm »

Is this why most trucks have rust holes at the body line of the cabs by the hoods??
1967 D100 Fargo, 318 poly.
4 speed, np435
Carter carb.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Yup

Isuzustorm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Thunder Bay

Post by Isuzustorm »

Is there a simple way to repair this spot? I have looked for some panels without much luck. I will be looking to make my own if all else fails.
1967 D100 Fargo, 318 poly.
4 speed, np435
Carter carb.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Post by sixpak340 »

don6061 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:57 am
Does anyone have any recommendation on putting a cover on the cowl to keep water and debris out. Thanks.
I picked up an extra cowl top, I want to try sealing the vents from underneath & smoothing the top for no more vent.

I am good in the heat though, windows down & vent windows open. :Thumbsup

I do not need under dash vents.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

sixpak340 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:00 am
I picked up an extra cowl top, I want to try sealing the vents from underneath & smoothing the top for no more vent.
I don't what part of the country you live in, but if it is anywhere where the temperatures get low, say less than 40F, you'll have trouble with the windows fogging up. When we breath, our air exhale has a high moisture content. It doesn't take long for all the cab air to have a high moisture content. This, in turn, will be begin to condense on the cold glass, causing it to fog up.

This is why cab heaters bring in fresh air, to change out the high humidity air we exhale and prevent the cab windows from fogging up.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sixpak340 »

Condensation is not a concern for me?

An open window can let any moist air out.

My hometown averaged 13 feet of rain a year, so I have decades of experience with vehicles in a wet climate.
Last edited by sixpak340 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sixpak340 »

Double post.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:00 am
This is why cab heaters bring in fresh air, to change out the high humidity air we exhale and prevent the cab windows from fogging up.
We've exchanged thoughts on vents for closing doors. Is the pressure from the heater sufficient to force air out that type of vent for purposes of keeping relative humidity under control?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sixpak340 »

Under motion an open window, even partially open will create a vacuum in the cab, pulling air out.

The most important step in controlling in cab humidity is to eliminate all leaks. :Thumbsup

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

sixpak340 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:21 am
Under motion an open window, even partially open will create a vacuum in the cab, pulling air out.

The most important step in controlling in cab humidity is to eliminate all leaks. :Thumbsup
Any air out MUST be replaced by air in, from somewhere.
Yes, leaks are way bad. But when its raining outside (humidity around 100%), it accomplishes nothing to bring outside air in. Getting into the cab with rain damp clothes, shoes, maybe a soaked umbrella, you are in a swimming pool of water vapor.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sixpak340 »

The Subaru is for rainy days. :lol:

It has an outside air source -or- hit a button and it only processes in cabin air.

An inside only heater can be McGuivered in, no biggie.

I have enough respect for decodes old vehicles to avoid rain as much as possible. :Thumbsup

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am
We've exchanged thoughts on vents for closing doors. Is the pressure from the heater sufficient to force air out that type of vent for purposes of keeping relative humidity under control?
On these older vehicles, there is enough air leakage around the door glass and other areas to exhaust the volume the blower motor can produce. For example, if you leave the blower motor off and have the defroster duct open, you'll free air through them, when at speed, with the vehicle. If there wasn't a place for the air to escape, that wouldn't be the case. With a newer vehicle that is sealed up much tighter, I wouldn't be surprised if air displaced by the blower was being exhausted out the cab vents w/check flappers.
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:08 pm
Any air out MUST be replaced by air in, from somewhere.
Yes, leaks are way bad. But when its raining outside (humidity around 100%), it accomplishes nothing to bring outside air in. Getting into the cab with rain damp clothes, shoes, maybe a soaked umbrella, you are in a swimming pool of water vapor.
True enough. However, when it is raining that hard, the outside air temp is usually much warmer. In turn, the glass is not as cold and condensation, typically, does not occur. Not to say it can't, but not often. It is why every auto I've ever owned that had factory AC, the AC runs when the defroster is activated. Bringing warm, high humidity, air across a cold evaporator coil will result in a large percentage of that humidity condensing on the evaporator coils. This results in the warm air being blown out the defroster vents having low humidity and quickly evaporating any condensation on the glass. I've ran the AC with the heater, in the winter, when I've had a lot of passengers in the vehicle. This quickly eliminated any window fogging and prevented it from re-occurring.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:29 pm
On these older vehicles, there is enough air leakage around the door glass and other areas to exhaust the volume the blower motor can produce. With a newer vehicle that is sealed up much tighter, I wouldn't be surprised if air displaced by the blower was being exhausted out the cab vents w/check flappers.
Thx, and it's a fairly wimpy blower by modern standards. I'm still contemplating adding the cab vents. Plenty of time for pondering that when the truck project just sits during weeding season. All I'm expecting to get done this year is the bed painting, underbody boxes, etc, and the driveline. There's logging to do this summer.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org