Wiper Arm Stud

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Wiper Arm Stud

Post by Brudog »

While tightening the bolt on my driver side wiper arm last night, the top of the stud broke off an is now located inside the wiper arm. :banghead

I doubt I am going to be able to get the little piece of the stud out of the wiper arm, as there is not much to grip it with. I may try putting an indention in it so that it will work like a standard screw head, but we shall see how easy that is. Worst case, I have to find a new driver side wiper arm.

But the bigger issue is the broken stud that the wiper arm goes on. Does anyone know how to remove/replace that? Does it come off from the outside or do I have to remove everything from underneath? I removed the cowl and was trying to pull it through the back, but there is not much room. I removed the nut on the metal arm that goes to the center closer to where the wiper motor drive is, but that didn't seem like it wanted to come off.

I was trying not to brute force something else and break it too.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? :thinking

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Wiper Arm Stud

Post by powerwagon54 »

pm sent

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Brudog wrote:While tightening the bolt on my driver side wiper arm last night, the top of the stud broke off an is now located inside the wiper arm. :banghead

I doubt I am going to be able to get the little piece of the stud out of the wiper arm, as there is not much to grip it with. I may try putting an indention in it so that it will work like a standard screw head, but we shall see how easy that is. Worst case, I have to find a new driver side wiper arm.

But the bigger issue is the broken stud that the wiper arm goes on. Does anyone know how to remove/replace that? Does it come off from the outside or do I have to remove everything from underneath? I removed the cowl and was trying to pull it through the back, but there is not much room. I removed the nut on the metal arm that goes to the center closer to where the wiper motor drive is, but that didn't seem like it wanted to come off.

I was trying not to brute force something else and break it too.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? :thinking
You'll need to remove and replace the entire pivot. This is done by
removing the cowl cover, disconnecting the connecting arm between
the motor and pivot, and unbolting the pivot itself. :Thumbsup
John

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Post by Brudog »

Thanks for the info John.

I guess I need to work on get the connecting arm disconnected without breaking it. It was on there pretty good. Someday I will learn not to break things, especially when they are difficult to fix.