Cab beautification

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
crewcabcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eagle River
State: AK

Cab beautification

Post by crewcabcrazy »

I'm considering welding all the panel seams inside my 70 crewcab, I don't really like the way it looks as is. Or is it a better idea to use filler instead of welding. I figured I would tap the wisdom found here before I went too far. Good idea, bad idea?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Cab beautification

Post by Jims68 »

Technically, the seams are already welded. You could grind out or "pick out" the seam sealer (on certain seams) and then just use body filler to smooth it out.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

crewcabcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eagle River
State: AK

Post by crewcabcrazy »

I see all the spot welds and a few short weld beads. I was thinking welding it out might cut down on wind noise and add a slight amount of strength to the cab. Body filler would be a lot less work but I worry about it flexing and cracking after a while. No technical reason not to weld it out?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

crewcabcrazy wrote:I see all the spot welds and a few short weld beads. I was thinking welding it out might cut down on wind noise and add a slight amount of strength to the cab. Body filler would be a lot less work but I worry about it flexing and cracking after a while. No technical reason not to weld it out?

I don't think that the seams are part of your "wind noise". Most likely you need new door seals, vent seals etc. to stop the wind noise. The cab shouldn't flex that much unless your body mounts are shot and the cab is moving around. I say... do what you think is best and makes you happy. I just wouldn't go through all that extra work if it were mine.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

crewcabcrazy wrote:I see all the spot welds and a few short weld beads. I was thinking welding it out might cut down on wind noise and add a slight amount of strength to the cab. Body filler would be a lot less work but I worry about it flexing and cracking after a while. No technical reason not to weld it out?

And even with perfect door seals etc, Wind noise will probably still be there. After all a Sweptline has the aerodynamic quality's of a brick.
:pale :lol: :lol: :pale :pale :pale :pale
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

I agree with crewcabcrazy, the insides of the doors do need some beautification, I did it on mine years ago and will do it on every one I work on. Makes it look a lot cleaner when you open the door. It is a lot of work, but what is a few more hours of time versus opening a door and wishing you had made it look better. I welded the seams on the front of the fenders at the point as well, looks a lot better when you open the hood.