Undercoating in the front wheel wells??? Yes or No??

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Undercoating in the front wheel wells??? Yes or No??

Post by maxmac »

I put my Town Wagon back together and its running and driving. Putting many of the finishing touches on it for the time being and wondering what you guys have done to your front wheel wells. Mine are just painted now but I see rocks and other road debris making quick work of that. What have you guys done to the inside of the wheel wells? Should I use a spray on undercoating/bedliner material or is there something better I should be looking at???

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: Undercoating in the front wheel wells??? Yes or No??

Post by pismopowerwagon »

A good brand of undercoating works for me
Andy

Creepjohnny
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa clarita
State: CA

Post by Creepjohnny »

There is a few different rattle can spray one to choose from. There's one that matches the Bed liner and one that says rubberized. Think rust oleum makes it. And there's a $3-4 can and a $7-8 heavy duty can. I e used the cheaper one on trunk floors and it lays down nice. I would use the heavy duty and maybe apply a couple coats. I'm going to do the same with my wheel wells

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

I put bed liner in my fender wells after I picked them up from the paint shop and before I put them on the truck. I Did a little research before I brought it.
What I learned was the the rattle cans are prone to plugging up and not have a consistent texture. With the roll-on I read lots of bad reviews on the duplicolor bedliner so I stayed away from that. I heard mostly positive reviews on "Herculiner" so I got a gallon of that with the kit.
Most peoples horror stories are a result from not following the instructions to a tee and did not prep the surface properly. I bought a stirring attachment for my drill which you definitely need to do it right. I prepped using red scotch brite pads which worked well but, was hard to bring myself to do since it just came back from paint, and cleaned it up lacquer thinner. I followed to instructions after that. It's messy so be aware and tape off well.
The result was awesome. It cured to a extremely consistent and incredibly hard surface! I plan to do this to my Ute rear fenders and maybe underneath the ute step as well. This is my option only, but it seems like the rock guard and undercoating stuff seems to soft and that rocks will eventually whittle it away at it. Like I said it is incredibly hard.