sun visor disassembly

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
willycrack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Noblesville
State: IN

sun visor disassembly

Post by willycrack »

How do you remove the sun viser from the rod? Is there a hidden screw?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: sun visor disassembly

Post by Jims68 »

The visor should/could be worked off the rod. There is no hidden screw. The rod slides into a CRIMPED tube... if that makes sense to you. These visors were from my '68. Later visors had a small rod that fit into the opposite end of the swivel that clipped onto a plastic clip on the roof. That small rod also just pulls out. IF you have an earlier truck, you will not have that 'small rod' part.
Attachments
632P9140009.JPG
629P9030091.JPG
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

willycrack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willycrack »

Mine is a 1970 and has the small rod that clips into the plastic piece that holds it in place. My truck came from southern California and was full of desert sand. The visors take 2 hands to pull them down so I wanted to disassemble them to get the sand out so they were easier to put down. Any other tricks I should know about?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

willycrack wrote:Mine is a 1970 and has the small rod that clips into the plastic piece that holds it in place. My truck came from southern California and was full of desert sand. The visors take 2 hands to pull them down so I wanted to disassemble them to get the sand out so they were easier to put down. Any other tricks I should know about?
Be careful as not to BEND the "clamp" part that surrounds the rod inside the visor... I had one that was TORN out the cardboard because it was stuck (I didn't do that) See the photo. Either leave it in the truck and pull it while wiggling it up & down, OR remove the visor and fasten it to something so you have both hands to work the visor "up and down" while pulling it off. Maybe best to clamp the curved end in a vise and that way it does not put a strain on the screw mount area. I had cleaned the rod with a wire wheel and used some WD40 on the rod and then worked it back into the visor slowly. I was able to get the ones i have now working nicely. I think what happens is that rust, dirt, and corrosion works onto the rod and freezes it up.

So, as for the end that goes to the plastic clip, that small rod will pull out all by itself because it is separate from the main rod.
Attachments
628P9030088.JPG
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

willycrack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willycrack »

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to start pulling on it without asking someone.