Hood louvers open?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Hood louvers open?

Post by jimharold »

Hey all,

I have a 68' with the fake louver hood. Where those louvers ever cut open? I saw an old photo once of a hood and the louvers where open. Don't know if it was factory or owner done. For heat control and general coolness, I want to open mine up. I think some kind of jig, like a flute cutting jig for woodwork with a router would work, but with a handheld grinder instead. Magnets holding the jig in place.
Any thoughts on this idea? Or pictures with open louvers? Just a winter project bouncing around in my head.

Talk at you later,
Jimharold

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Hood louvers open?

Post by Jims68 »

They were just for looks... and probably to help "stiffen" the hoods so they don't "buckle" when you put some weight on that area. I was always going to "fake it" by painting that area flat black, but... like a lot of other things, I never got around to it.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have seen them cut out in magazines. Would be time consuming , But cool for a modded truck. :dance
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

CupcakeMike
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wellsville
State: KS

Post by CupcakeMike »

No idea how long they have been doing it but I was at the dealership a while back and noticed the new 3/4 and 1 tons have the fake louvers too...made me chuckle