Blue Paint 68 D100

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dodgeboyd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: TERRELL
State: TX

Blue Paint 68 D100

Post by dodgeboyd »

Need some help on finding the right paint for my 68 D100. It looks and photos as blue. Between Bright Blue Poly and Marlin Blue but with a teeny amount of turquoise, but more bluish. I have been to two different paint stores, NAPA and English. They couldn't find a match in their chips. The closest thing we could find was Code 510 Hawaiian Blue for 1970-1973 Chevrolet Pickups. I thought it was Bermuda Turquoise, but that isn't working. When you snap a picture, it shows to be blue,almost the same as Bright Blue Poly. But if you place it next to a blue object, the turquoise shows up really good. What color is it? My picture is too big to post.

ufo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Manitoba
State: Foreign

Re: Blue Paint 68 D100

Post by ufo »

Take the truck or a painted pce to the supplier. Have them use a color reader to scan it.
it's not 100 % accurate but will get you in the right direction.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

I'll tell you why you have one response. Post a picture and someone will tell you if it is a factory color. Otherwise go look at the factory color charts.

dodgeboyd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgeboyd »

image.jpg

Hope this picture can show the right color.
image.jpg
image.jpg

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

It kinda looks like Desert Turquoise which was available in 67 but hard to tell. Might have been available in 68 too. Doesn't match too closely though
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Does your interior match the exterior? Can you see ANY iridescence (metallic flake) to it at all? The word "Poly or Met" in the paint chips is referring to iridescence (metallic) paints. That will narrow it down some. Is your gas tank out? 99.9% will still be original paint behind the gas tank. Looking at the 68 chips, I see a Bermuda Turquoise Met. that "MAY" be it?
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Jims68 wrote:Does your interior match the exterior? Can you see ANY iridescence (metallic flake) to it at all? The word "Poly or Met" in the paint chips is referring to iridescence (metallic) paints. That will narrow it down some. Is your gas tank out? 99.9% will still be original paint behind the gas tank. Looking at the 68 chips, I see a Bermuda Turquoise Met. that "MAY" be it?
I agree with Jim. It looks like Bermuda Turquoise but, I don't see Metallic for 68. I looked at the paint reference for 68 trucks. Ditzler PPG 12647. Some paint shops will make a free sample for you. The chart I looked at shows 4 blues for 68. Arctic Blue way to light (Baby Blue). Marlin Blue is darker and no mistake it is blue. Desert Turquoise (greenish to me)and there are several original trucks with that color here on the forum.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

According to the DuPont chips I have, it shows that the Bermuda Turquoise Met paint IS a metallic color (with small flakes). That is why it is listed as Bermuda Turquoise Met. The only other Metallic paint I see is the Golden Tan Met. color. :salut
Jim

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

There was a special Blue paint available on the White Hat Special package that wasn't a standard color. I think it was a little darker looking than this though. There could have been other special ordered colors. Does the truck have a little tag riveted under the hood on the cowl? If so, it was probably a customer ordered truck and someone could have specified a non-standard color.

dodgeboyd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgeboyd »

image.jpg
image.jpg
The interior and exterior are the same color. Interior paint is in excellent shape. The paint looks blue until you get it against a blue background. Then it looks turquoise. I am trying to resize the same picture up above against a red background to show the difference.

It finally copied. Now, this is what I'm up against trying to match the color. Each time I compare it to the blue color chips, it looks turquoise, and when it is laid up against the turquoise chips, it looks blue. Or...maybe I'm just a little crazy. But it is a very close match for 1970-1973 GM Hawaiian Blue. Also, there is no cowl tag. Bermuda Turquoise is a mis-match. It is very close until they are compared side by side, then it is completely different. I'm still lost on the color matching.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Almost has B5 look to it.

Bill, is this close to the color you were starting to use? I remember you saying it was similar to a production color.....

dodgeboyd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgeboyd »

image.jpg
Here is a shot of the exterior. It is the same color as the interior, just weather faded.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

With the new pictures it looks different. I'm thinking it is the same color as this truck.

http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 72#p207372

It is called Medium Blue Super Enamel, code 8115, according to the brochure.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I concur.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

wally426ci wrote:I concur.
OK... tell the truth, do you EVER use the word "Concur" when you are talking and having a conversation in "person"? :lol:
Jim

dodgeboyd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgeboyd »

Wow! What a great looking truck. Is this code and color a Dodge Brochure Color? And where can I find it? I have looked at several of the NAPA chip books and have not seen this color.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Sometimes, but then again I like to ue strange words. :lol: I safe most of it for the forums! :joker

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

wally426ci wrote:Sometimes, but then again I like to ue strange words. :lol: I safe most of it for the forums! :joker
Yeah like "ue". Also your use of the word "safe" is one I'm not familiar with. :lol:

The color is in an ad/order form for the White Hat Special, which was a grouping of options sold at a special price.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

1969 and 1970 paint chips BOTH years included a "Medium Blue". One has "flake" and the other is a straight color. That Med. Blue name however, is very vague and just about everyone used it. (yes, I use that word all the time) :lol: That DT 8115 color is shown to be a later model paint code. I did a quick search and found this: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail ... ode=DT8115
Jim

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

:lol: dang iPhone!