camper special or not?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
codyd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

camper special or not?

Post by codyd200 »

I am just getting into this model/era of truck, so i started myself with a '70 d200. I am unsure if this is a camper special or what. It does have the plugin behind the driver's door, and currently has "west coast" mirrors (whats the correct term?). On the door, there are 2 or 3 holes that look like mounting holes for regular mirrors...swap? Also, were saddle tanks an option or mandatory? Mine doesn't but my neighbor's does (not a camper special for sure) it is currently dark, but i can try to get some pictures soon.

Duh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Colo Spgs
State: CO

Re: camper special or not?

Post by Duh »

Hola Cody

The Dual Fuel Tank was originally an Pay More Option.

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) had a Engine Cooling Fan that has 7 Paddles.

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) have a Alternator Pulley with a larger Diameter
and a Higher AMP.

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) have a Fan Shroud.

Rodger and Gabby
FltSgt@outlook.com
Colo Spgs

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

I thought all the Camper Specials had a plaque on the front fenders that stated "Camper Special". My 66 has them. Never knew the D100 could be ordered as a Camper Special.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

Jhollett
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norris Arm
State: Foreign

Post by Jhollett »

Duh wrote:Hola Cody

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) had a Engine Cooling Fan that has 7 Paddles.

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) have a Alternator Pulley with a larger Diameter
and a Higher AMP.

All Camper Specials ( 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton ) ( be it a Slant Six or The LA-318 or The 383 ) have a Fan Shroud.

Rodger and Gabby
FltSgt@outlook.com
Colo Spgs
Actually, I've found not all of those go be true. Mine is a Canadian built Camper Special. It has the regular 4 blade fan with no shroud.

codyd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by codyd200 »

Duh wrote:Hola Cody

and a Higher AMP.

Rodger and Gabby
FltSgt@outlook.com
Colo Spgs
thanks for the info... 6 blade fan... not sure about the pulley or the fan shroud since those were long gone...

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

A Camper Special should have the chrome "Camper Special" emblem with a black background. The '69 - '71 have a red background, IIRC.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

Also you could order every option individually that was included in a "camper special" package and have exactly the same truck without the fender emblem.
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

codyd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by codyd200 »

JohnB wrote:Also you could order every option individually that was included in a "camper special" package and have exactly the same truck without the fender emblem.
that must be it then... there is no sign of the camper special emblem but there is a stock fender emblem... has the camper plugs above the fuelcap, and not the 7 blade fan as above... P.O had the original radiator and that was larger than on other trucks ive seen. So im thinking it may just be a custom ordered truck since absolutely no where does it have any c.s writing/marking

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Post by riffraff »

codyd200 wrote:I am just getting into this model/era of truck, so i started myself with a '70 d200. I am unsure if this is a camper special or what. It does have the plugin behind the driver's door, and currently has "west coast" mirrors (whats the correct term?). On the door, there are 2 or 3 holes that look like mounting holes for regular mirrors...swap? Also, were saddle tanks an option or mandatory? Mine doesn't but my neighbor's does (not a camper special for sure) it is currently dark, but i can try to get some pictures soon.
You might download, and read through, the below brochures I added for Sweptline members. They are all 1969, but should go a reasonable way toward identifying your 1970's options...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37948
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

codyd200 wrote:
JohnB wrote:Also you could order every option individually that was included in a "camper special" package and have exactly the same truck without the fender emblem.
that must be it then... there is no sign of the camper special emblem but there is a stock fender emblem... has the camper plugs above the fuelcap, and not the 7 blade fan as above... P.O had the original radiator and that was larger than on other trucks ive seen. So im thinking it may just be a custom ordered truck since absolutely no where does it have any c.s writing/marking
My 69 is that way. Extra fuel tank (used for running moonshine by a previous owner). Camper plug in above the fuel cap. One ton spec radiator (or someone swapped in a big block one). No special badging. Heaviest duty non-overload 1/2 ton springs offered. Huge shocks. High amp round case alternator. Heavy steel fan shroud, 6 or 7 blade fan (been awhile since I looked at it). Adventurer long dash trim panel (hate it, swapping in the short version from the motorhome, and the motorhome gauges, since they all work). Big fuel tank. Fenderwells both drilled for battery trays. And regular 69 badge on one side, old style on the other (fender swap by previous owner), neither are C.S. badges.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

So does it have this badge?

Or does it have this badge?

This one could have looked like this at one time. Sometimes the adhesive fails and the label falls off.

codyd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by codyd200 »

soopernaut wrote:So does it have this badge?

Or does it have this badge?

This one could have looked like this at one time. Sometimes the adhesive fails and the label falls off.

:clap im not sure if original fenders (different color :thinking ) pass. has regular 200 emblem, driver side has the blank c.s emblem... would the info plate in the door help by chance? :thinking :banghead

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

codyd200 wrote:would the info plate in the door help by chance? :thinking :banghead
It might. You could compare it to other known Camper Specials and if the weights/spring capacities are the same you could probably conclude that it is a CS. However, if all options were available separately you probably would never know for sure.

Also power brakes were standard on Camper Specials after 66 or 67.

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Post by 68fish »

Heres one for you.

My early 65 D100 was ordered from factory with

Frame reinforcement
16.5 inch wheels, 5 lug these two items are on the SERT tag found on the door post

4 core radiator
factory helper springs, at least they look factory
holes in door reveal it use to have west coast mirrors
3.91 rear gears
318, 4 speed
and factory AC!

it is not a camper special truck, no emblems found on it. But someone special ordered it to do some pulling or hauling, or..... camping!!!!!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Fish, The "Camper Special" came out after 65.5 with the longer wheelbase.No earlier trucks were badged Camper Special, but I get your point. :Thumbsup
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD