Door glass removal sequence

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
nippy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Waukesha
State: WI

Door glass removal sequence

Post by nippy »

I have some original paint doors, and it appears the factory had the upper door frame, regulator, and latch on the door when it was painted.

I took one door apart by removing the upper frame, but how did the factory do it with the frame in?

I know where all the "secret" screws are, but I'm just curious on the sequence of how to remove/reinstall the glass with the upper frame on?

I've searched for a topic on this but didn't come across one. I don't have a service manual, does it explain this? Anyone have this info to share?

Here is a in progress pic, might make some purists cringe, but it should be pretty cool when its done

Thanks!
Attachments
Drag truck april 2015.jpg

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Re: Door glass removal sequence

Post by exline »

Looks like it will be a wild ride when its done. When i take the doors apart, i take the hidden screws in the vent window out first. Then i wind the window down , take out the bolts for the top window frame and pull the top window frame out. Then unbolt the window regulator and pull the side glass out, then pull the regulator out. Then the unbolt the wing assembly and pull it out.
This is just from memory but i took pictures of each step and the bolts last time i tore a door down. Intending to print up some instructions on tear down and assembly , to help all of us with working on the doors. I have it all stored in my camera and written on notebook paper i just need to transfer it to the computer. The doors are pretty easy to work on but its a pain if you do it out of order and have to go back and tear apart something just to get some other piece back in.

nippy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nippy »

Thanks!

I guess my real question is, what is the sequence to take the glass and wing window out without removing the upper door frame?

I want to paint the doors as the factory did with the frame on and then install the glass and wing.

I'm confident I could figure this out eventually, but the galss and wing windows are very nice and I don't want to bend/break stuff experimenting!

Thanks!

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Factory service manual has the procedure w/o removing the upper door frame. Basically, remove all screws from vent window, roll down window, tilt top of vent frame to the rear, slide it out. remove belt seals(whiskers),raise glass until regulator connectors are visible ,slide glass unit forward and remove rear regulator from guide,lower regulator and tilt glass upward to remove front connector,tilt glass rearward and remove from door.

Hope this helps. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Enon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46901
State: IN

Post by Enon »

I'm guessing this isn't staying stock, lol. Looks like it will be mean!!!

nippy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nippy »

Txas2step wrote:Factory service manual has the procedure w/o removing the upper door frame. Basically, remove all screws from vent window, roll down window, tilt top of vent frame to the rear, slide it out. remove belt seals(whiskers),raise glass until regulator connectors are visible ,slide glass unit forward and remove rear regulator from guide,lower regulator and tilt glass upward to remove front connector,tilt glass rearward and remove from door.

Hope this helps. :Thumbsup
Thanks!

I'm curious how the factory put the front wing window screw in?? I used a 90 degree screwdriver(very slow), anybody have another trick?