Replacement Gas Cap

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Replacement Gas Cap

Post by Hardcase »

The gas cap on my '61 utiline has pretty crappy gasket material on it, so gas is both evaporating and it leaks a bit when I make right turns. I'm having horrible luck finding a replacement. I've tried the Stant 10623 (Amazon said it would fit) and a locking cap that I found on EBay that was also listed as fitting. The Stant gas cap's ears for locking into the filler tube were too short and also didn't have enough room between the top of the ears and the cap (I couldn't turn it). The locking cap's barrel was not wide enough and the locking tabs didn't spread out far enough, so I could just wiggle it and pull it off.

I don't want one of those industrial looking caps that ought to be hiding behind a door - I honestly like the look of the existing cap. Is it possible to replace the gasket on it? Or is there a smooth topped cap like the chrome Stant ones that will fit?

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Re: Replacement Gas Cap

Post by johnah »

I bought a Stant 10648 on Amazon for $6.00 said it would fit. It didnt but i took the gasket out of it and put it in the one that i had. No more gas fumes.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

johnah wrote:I bought a Stant 10648 on Amazon for $6.00 said it would fit. It didnt but i took the gasket out of it and put it in the one that i had. No more gas fumes.
I'll see if that works with the Stant that I've got, otherwise I'll order the 10648 and do what you did. Thanks!

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

The 10648 fit perfectly. Weird.

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

It fit perfectly on mine, too. I took a hard right turn a little while ago and happened to glance in the driver's side mirror and saw a stream of gas pouring out of the filler. :censored
Ordered the 10648 from Amazon and it fit like a factory piece. Problem solved
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

I may not have the stock fill tube? :banghead
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

not sure.
I just looked through Rock Auto's catalog, and they list the same part # for all of the years.

Of course, they also list a wheel bearing dust cap that definitely doesn't fit my '69, so...
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)