Passenger mirror from drivers side.

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Passenger mirror from drivers side.

Post by jimharold »

Hey All,
I have been on the lookout some time now for a passenger side post mirror with no luck. Well last month at the Portland Swap meet I saw the triangle base of a mirror from 30 feet away. It was a post type mirror in descent shape but the wrong side. Looking at it made me think it could be cut and rotated around. For a whopping $5 it was worth a try. As you can see in the photos I think the outcome was great. I have photos of every step if anyone needs more detail.
$5 swapmeet find.  Made the whole trip worth it.
$5 swapmeet find. Made the whole trip worth it.
Used a Dremel to mark the angles before rotating.  Same angle amount on each side of straight up.
Used a Dremel to mark the angles before rotating. Same angle amount on each side of straight up.
Fit a copper pipe into the arm to keep alignment of pipe.  Then soldered it up.  I don't have a welder at this time.
Fit a copper pipe into the arm to keep alignment of pipe. Then soldered it up. I don't have a welder at this time.
Backer plate from aluminum.  Shaped, drilled and tapped.  If I did it again I would only do the 2 top holes in a bracket and just fender washer the bottom hole.
Backer plate from aluminum. Shaped, drilled and tapped. If I did it again I would only do the 2 top holes in a bracket and just fender washer the bottom hole.
Marked the lower hole from the inside of the door.  Drilled the lower hole from the inside with a long bit then mounted the mirror with the lower hole.  This allowed me to drill the top holes,  don't trust the inside door locator holes.
Marked the lower hole from the inside of the door. Drilled the lower hole from the inside with a long bit then mounted the mirror with the lower hole. This allowed me to drill the top holes, don't trust the inside door locator holes.
NAPA mirrors as the old one was rusted.  $16 each.
NAPA mirrors as the old one was rusted. $16 each.
I like the way it turned out.
I like the way it turned out.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Passenger mirror from drivers side.

Post by Jims68 »

Nice work!!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Nice! I had a tough time finding a correct passenger side mount, and was ready to do what you did, until I found the part. Good job!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

You actually don't have to cut them. You heat them up until the post portion frees from the base and turn it to where you want it. The L and R mirrors are made with the same parts.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

soopernaut wrote:You actually don't have to cut them. You heat them up until the post portion frees from the base and turn it to where you want it. The L and R mirrors are made with the same parts.
They must have used Brass to weld them in if you can twist it?? You can't "twist" a WELD. But if it were brazed then that would loosen and you would be able to rotate it then. Just wondering.... :thinking
Jim

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Jims68 wrote:
soopernaut wrote:You actually don't have to cut them. You heat them up until the post portion frees from the base and turn it to where you want it. The L and R mirrors are made with the same parts.
They must have used Brass to weld them in if you can twist it?? You can't "twist" a WELD. But if it were brazed then that would loosen and you would be able to rotate it then. Just wondering.... :thinking
I don't know. Russ Ashley was the one that told me about that trick. He said that is how he ended up with a passenger side arm.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

soopernaut wrote:
Jims68 wrote: I don't know. Russ Ashley was the one that told me about that trick. He said that is how he ended up with a passenger side arm.
I will go out on a limb and assume that it is brazed in... especially if you can heat it and then it would turn. Eh... if I ever get another one, I'll look into that.
Jim

CMR70D3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Martinsville
State: IN

Post by CMR70D3 »

Jims68 wrote:
That's how I did it also, just heat. The stem seem to be pressed (mushroomed) from the back side of the base.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I turned a left into a right by die grinding out the weld. Was not brazed. Set the angle and welded back up. :Thumbsup
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.