Paint dip

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Paint dip

Post by 66patrick »

Has anyone tried this on their Swepty, or on any vehicle, for that matter???

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-elasti ... e-gun.html

Also, the May 2015 issue of Car Craft, shows a '94 Mustang being sprayed with this. It's a very inexpensive alternative to a full-on paint job, plus it can be peeled off like a wrap, if you desire to later on. Hell, for less than $400, you get the sprayer, the materials and all (except tape and masking paper) in one shot. I might do one of the Swepties in this, to see what happens. I really hate a mix of primer, bare spots and paint! This looks like a great alternative to an expensive paint job. Is it "show paint" - hell no! But, it's a great alternative to ugly, and makes the vehicle ONE color again!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Paint dip

Post by Hobcobble »

Maybe this and a few cans of your favorite color.... :thinking
http://www.amazon.com/Can-Gun1-2012-Pre ... an+trigger

You could probably do your entire truck for under $75. :dance :dance :idea
John

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

If ya want it one color. Get the implement and truck paint from tractor supply. Catalyst and a Harbor Freight paint gun. Total investment still under $75. Craig

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

I don't want to paint the truck right now. I'd rather use the dip and be able to simply peel it off if and when I decide to paint the truck. I'm not at all interested in sanding, grinding, or any of that. With getting the right tools for paint, the paint job is still gonna cost at least what the dip and all the materials are, and the dip process is a LOT less harsh on the human body!

I've had the truck for sale at a more-than-reasonable price for six months now and had exactly ONE serious inquiry, so I'm going to just do some more work on it and make it to where I am happy with the results...PLUS it'll be ONE color! Bonus points scored.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

It's definitely interesting. I have some buddies that have done the plasti-dip wheels and accessories, but haven't seen a complete vehicle in person. It seems pretty cool. There are a ton of youtube videos of the stuff. Here's another source that has some info. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Pro-Car-Kits-cat/
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I don't see any benefit to a temporary "paint" job unless you change your mind a lot about the color you want. I've heard the PlastiDip stuff lasts a few years at most. Then you have to remove it or redo it and you are out any money you spent on it. I don't know if this product would last any longer. A decent paint job should last a lot longer.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

What about getting that local body school kids to shoot it in paint?

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

soopernaut wrote:I don't see any benefit to a temporary "paint" job unless you change your mind a lot about the color you want. I've heard the PlastiDip stuff lasts a few years at most. Then you have to remove it or redo it and you are out any money you spent on it. I don't know if this product would last any longer. A decent paint job should last a lot longer.
I can not see spending $4K to paint a $4K truck. It's simple economics. If it looks good, great. If it looks like crap, then add that to the "lessons learned" book, either way. If I were building a CSS like I used to have, then yeah, it would get the paint. I did the runaround with the local vo-tech last year just trying to get a tailgate painted. It's not worth the asspain, so long as he is the instructor there.
slick wrote:It's definitely interesting. I have some buddies that have done the plasti-dip wheels and accessories, but haven't seen a complete vehicle in person. It seems pretty cool. There are a ton of youtube videos of the stuff. Here's another source that has some info. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Pro-Car-Kits-cat/
I've seen two in town since I posted this - a '78 Impala a kid down the street has, and an '86 Chevy C10 short bed in the parking lot at work. Both look pretty damn good - far better than they did!

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

yay!
Last edited by 66patrick on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

yay!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Are you against the Rustoleum paint that many people have had success with? Many of them used a high density foam roller to apply it but some sprayed it.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:Are you against the Rustoleum paint that many people have had success with? Many of them used a high density foam roller to apply it but some sprayed it.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html
I'd say that's hard to beat for the money! :Thumbsup
John

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

I've read about "rolling paint"....I'll pass. I've rolled (actually, brush-painted!) ONE vehicle in my life, and that was a 1954 Willys CJ-3B in the mid-'70s.

For what I need, the dip method will work fine, plus I'll have the sprayer that I can use for other jobs.

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

It is really not hard to paint a whole truck , even custom paint jobs are fairly easy, the cost of mine was less than $500 , that was a gallon of base coat metallic, then a coat of pearl and clear coat with hardener and fish eye remover and flow enhancer. all at TCP global , i painted a whole truck in my back yard .