CSS Crew Cab #2 ?!?!?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LoveLand
State: CO

CSS Crew Cab #2 ?!?!?

Post by DingBat »

Hey guys,
I just joined.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36978

I am talking to 66Patrick about buying his disc axle. I have shared a lot of this info with him. I am going to take more pics tonight and email them to the registry, or I will if you all can set me straight.

The above thread, which some of you saw, has a good bit of info about my truck.

My truck most definitely has a SERT Sticker. It is partially damaged on the top left corner where the stamps are though. As in the corner is just gone. What remains is 3 lines. All 3 SERT 3's are still on the right and entire rest of the sticker is in surprisingly good shape.
“eels” – I assume - Wheels
“inch” – I assume – Winch –--- it has the PTO winch…
“Battery” I think is complete. –-- I am surprised how big the battery tray is, I noticed it the other day.
I will take real good pictures of the Sert Sticker tonight. and get the SERT #'s.

Does that mean it’s a CSS – or does the SERT specifically say CSS on those trucks? I got confused reading about them last night.

It also has steering assist. There was a thread somewhere on the forum where another member has this exact set-up. His was painted sky-blue. (truck and reservoir). I think that thread was even asking if it was a factory option or an aftermarket unit. My dad had to replace some parts on the steering and pump and thinks it’s made by Dana. I will post a reply with pics.

So options I know of on this truck – I guess Wheel, Winch, and Battery. Wide ratio trans(D3). H/D gauges. Machine turned trim. Large back window.
In one pic you can see, even if you can’t read, that is has a small badge that says “CUSTOM” right under the wing window…?
door.jpg
Is the 318 Poly an option?
Also, it has 2 saddle tanks. So 3 total. One behind the seat; and two in the front of the bed. --???
It has a roof rack, and matching tie down bars along the bed rails…??? But a welded steel headache rack they are attached too…????

I asked my dad last night and he says it does, in fact, have stripes. He says it was factory white with red/orange stripes down the side above the main side crease up high like it shows them in the pictures I see. And two down the top; just like the pics! He says the same thing I am reading online, that they looked awful. He just rattled-canned over them. And added his own red highlights elsewhere. But the stripes are under there.

Inconsistencies I know of;

Steering wheel; My dad also says that the wheel in it came out of a ’67 Camper Special. This crew cab came with the normal black wheel with no horn ring. I thought that was part of CSS ???
Seat; it was a bench seat. But he said it was “contoured”. It had a slightly raised center; but we wondered if this was cuz it was a 4-speed manual 4x4?? The other CSS crew on the forum is not a 4x4..?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14552&p=99474&hilit ... cab#p99474

Chrome bumpers – it has a painted front bumper… but is that cuz it has the winch????

The rear bumper is almost certainly a custom aftermarket thing….

My dad added the steps…

What else do you guys see?

Also; and this is just weird.
"Re: CSS crewcab
Postby csscrewcab » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm
The guy who ordered this truck new, worked for the Railroad, I'll bet since the Railraod in those days had so many dodges, he might have had some pull to get something with these options. I figured it would be kind of tough to find the outside chrome this truck needs. A black truck would just not be the same without the chrome. Ralph"
now; my truck came with a story about the railroad. it was said it was ordered BY the railroad, maybe even complete with rail wheels. I no longer think that's the case. My first thread, ya'all pointed out the railroad wouldn't order a truck with trim options. Maybe this story got convoluted by word of mouth thru multiple owners…? But this is too weird of a coincidence. If mine is a CSS, then both CSS Crewcab's come with Railroad stories attached????

More pics in more posts. Will get more pics tonight.

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: CSS Crew Cab #2 ?!?!?

Post by DingBat »

back.jpg
backwindow - back bumper - bed tie down rails - headache rack...
reservoir.jpg
power assist reservoir - can see pump - can see battery tray
steering.jpg
side4.jpg
can see door over saddle tank - roof rack
dash6.jpg
dash.jpg

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

wow. and looking at the registry there is only ONE 4x4 CSS ...???

"1964 CSS W200 318A tan - Matt Patwell "

I see no other "W" 's - on the list...?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The truck does NOT appear to be a CSS. It is a CUSTOM truck with optional trim features that were chosen by the purchaser from a list. The items listed on the SERT are not indicative of a CSS package.

The dash trim is stamped, not machined. That is readily apparent if u look at it under magnification.
Attachments
Photo0017b.jpg

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

I see.

So it would say "CSS" on the SERT Sticker?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

DingBat wrote:I see.

The CSS trucks usually say SERT Summary on the sticker. That is several options grouped together under one SERT number. Or they could have seats and console as items on the SERT sticker.

Your truck doesn't appear to be a CSS but you never know until you rule out everything. Since your dad isn't the original owner and doesn't appear to know all the history of the truck, I'm sure there is some misinformation regarding what the truck was equipped with when new.

Stripes were always Black or White on CSS trucks, never Red. I suppose someone could have specified a different color.

The front seats were buckets and came with a console. There is no reason to delete this stuff with a CSS. You would just order a non-CSS truck if you didn't want this stuff. All the other trim could be ordered on another truck without the CSS package.

The Power Steering is a very uncommon one. There is no proof that any W200 ever came with Power Steering yet. There is one in a salvage yard that I posted a picture of on the forum, but there is no evidence that it is original. If there is a way to prove yours was ordered from the factory this way, it is probably the 1st. More likely it was added later.

The poly 318 was an option.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Will not say "CSS" on the SERT. There are specific items that will be listed. One will be "SERT SUMMARY"
None of the 3 items listed on your SERT are part of a CSS package.
Here's a CSS SERT:
Attachments
IM007689C.JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

soopernaut wrote:
DingBat wrote:I see.

The CSS trucks usually say SERT Summary on the sticker. That is several options grouped together under one SERT number. Or they could have seats and console as items on the SERT sticker.

Your truck doesn't appear to be a CSS but you never know until you rule out everything. Since your dad isn't the original owner and doesn't appear to know all the history of the truck, I'm sure there is some misinformation regarding what the truck was equipped with when new.

Stripes were always Black or White on CSS trucks, never Red. I suppose someone could have specified a different color.

The front seats were buckets and came with a console. There is no reason to delete this stuff with a CSS. You would just order a non-CSS truck if you didn't want this stuff. All the other trim could be ordered on another truck without the CSS package.

The Power Steering is a very uncommon one. There is no proof that any W200 ever came with Power Steering yet. There is one in a salvage yard that I posted a picture of on the forum, but there is no evidence that it is original. If there is a way to prove yours was ordered from the factory this way, it is probably the 1st. More likely it was added later.

The poly 318 was an option.
If it came from the factory with PS as a special order, it would say so on the SERT.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The CSS pkg always included chrome drip rail and body side trim.
Bill, do u know if a CSS truck would have a CUSTOM badge on the doors? Seems to me that would NOT be on a CSS.... :thinking (none are on mine or the ones Ive photo'd in junkyards))

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

My '67 CSS had the CUSTOM emblems on the doors, but then, so did my '67 Camper Special.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

Alright. That all makes sense. Thank you.

I do have the original Owners Manual. But I do not have a build sheet, or SERT sheet.

What will the VIN decoder tell me? I take it if there were readily accessible records from Dodge we would all know exactly what was what, yeah?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote: Bill, do u know if a CSS truck would have a CUSTOM badge on the doors? Seems to me that would NOT be on a CSS.... :thinking (none are on mine or the ones Ive photo'd in junkyards))
Some of them do and some don't. I'm not sure why there is a difference. I just looked through a bunch of photos and it seems inconsistant.

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

back to the seats---

you said,
"The front seats were buckets and came with a console. There is no reason to delete this stuff with a CSS. You would just order a non-CSS truck if you didn't want this stuff. All the other trim could be ordered on another truck without the CSS package."
but would the center console even work with the dual lever 4x4 set up? bucket seats I guess sure, but that single other "W" I see on the registry, does it have buckets and a console? when that lever comes back into 4x it is right up against the front of the seat, so if the console was longer....?

I also plan to do some careful sanding and get to those original stripes. My dad swears up and down they are there. I will try to do it tonight, and get a picture, and a picture of my SERT tag.

anything else I should look for?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The console would not cover the shifters. It was only "between" the seats and did not extend beyond the front. The buckets are very specific, with large chrome trim on the outer sides. Post a pic of yours. The stripes were only on the hood and roof, and were not painted on. They were black or white tape, stuck on after painting.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

DingBat wrote: What will the VIN decoder tell me? I take it if there were readily accessible records from Dodge we would all know exactly what was what, yeah?
:lol: :lol: :lol: there are no records and the VIN barely tells anything.

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

I don't have any of the seats. front, back, nothing.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There are front seats showing in the pic above...

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

yeah, but they're out of a Lincoln town car or something. the original seats have been out of this truck since the early 90's...

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DingBat »

sert-blank.jpg
ok, here's the SERT sticker.... I blanked out the #'s because.... well it seems like that's what ya'all do? I guess to protect them? I can repost it and show them if it'd be better....

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Again, as above:

None of the 3 items listed on your SERT are part of a CSS package!