Confused on marker lights

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
damon23
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Douglasville
State: GA

Confused on marker lights

Post by damon23 »

Alright, from the research I've done the side marker lights on my 70 are supposed to have exposed screw holes. I have one that has the screw holes but the others are like the pictures below. A member suggested that they came on a 72 up but I looked at those and they don't look like these. They are stamped with a ACI70 on them. I've shifted my focus from having all the correct ones to just having ones that work. I'm not going to get caught up in that with this truck. I've been down that road before and it gets expensive real quick and I'd rather put the money other places.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Confused on marker lights

Post by powerwagon54 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1970- ... 79&vxp=mtr

These are NOS and are correct for your truck.

damon23
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by damon23 »

Right. I've looked at a bunch of pictures but what are mine off of? The best pictures I've seen they are not like these. Do you have pictures of the 72-up trucks?

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

No I dont. But they are listed on ebay.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

They could be off a number of 70s Mopar cars. As you've seen ,the 72-80 trucks used different ones. The 81-93 truck lights might be similar to yours as well.

damon23
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by damon23 »

I was thinking maybe a car. Thanks.

935guy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lakewood,Wa.

Post by 935guy »

I have a '70 W-200 and chased this topic in the past. As best as I can recall, (I'm doing this from memory) there are subtle differences between the Marker lights.
Some have a bright silver, almost a chrome finish and others have a flat dull silver finish.
Some have the lens held in be 2 surface mounted screws ,others, as shown the lens is integrated into the housing pretty darn hard to remove.
The backs and plug connectors are different also.
The housing (bright finish) that has the surface screws allowing removal of the lens and thus replacement of the bulb has a plug/connector molded into the backside of the housing. The removable lens sometimes show up for sale separate from the housing.
The housing (dull/flat finish) with no surface screws holding the lens has a connector that includes the bulb. So to replace the bulb one needs to access the inner fender. The back side has a circular fitting for the bulb connector.
In summary my conclusion; the bright finished housings came from the trucks and the dull finished housings came from the same era vans.
I've got some of each at the shop and can post photos if needed. Big problem ; I don't know how to post photos to this site.

In addition at one point I owned a '72 D-200. The '72 sheet metal is totally different than '71 and earlier trucks. The marker lights on these trucks were a different shape and located much lower on the front fender.

Again from memory, I don't have them in front of me.
I hope this helps ................................

SEAnthony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: middle

Post by SEAnthony »

Both lens are n.o.s. same part #. The lens without mounting holes are early production run. ( I think ) Maybe the lens with no mounting holes kept popping out of the housing so a design change was in order. You know the story, jr. engineer says ' will not work '. Vender goes into production regardless. Complaints come in about a bad design, Ma mopar says ' change design '. Jr. engineer had the better design. Ma Mopar is happy and long due promotion was given to the Jr. engineer.
Attachments
IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

damon23
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by damon23 »

What prompted my want ads was because I tried to pry the rear lense out and it cracked on the end. So no doubt it was probably a design flaw that people complained about. Either way, design change or they are from a car it is neat to see. Since my truck had a repaint about 20 years ago maybe he put on what he could find. Who knows. I have three lenses without screws and one with. I just got two with screws so I think I'll put two on one side and two on the other. Who knows. I found myself going down the same road I went down with my Camaro's I've owned and I told myself when I bought the truck I wouldn't do it with this thing. I'm stepping back and am just going to do things I want to. Painting the roof is the first. Adding some old driving lights to the front and replacing the door weatherstripping will be the priorities now. After speaking with a member and doing some research the truck will probably never be worth all the money it will take to put it back correct so I'm just going to have fun with it for now. Still hunting those sun visor clips though. If anyone knows of a alternative that would be cool too. Thanks for the info so far. I'll post up pics when it comes back from the painter.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

The B-series vans from 1971 - 1978 all had the same sidemarkers as the '70 - '71 Sweptline trucks. You will also find the same sidemarkers on '72 - '76 Lifestyle trucks (for certain), and I believe up through 1978. Lots of things changed in the 1979MY with vans and trucks, including the sidemarkers. The fronts are different on the 1980 - 1993 trucks than the earlier units.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote: The fronts are different on the 1980 - 1993 trucks than the earlier units.
79 and 80 had the same grilles, so I'm guessing the core support and fenders are the same. The restyled truck came out for the 81 model year and some older parts are still interchangeable. 72-80 had the same basic shape but some things don't swap without modification.

The B series vans did have similar marker lights but used the Argent surrounds, where as the Sweptline ones were bright finished.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

You may also try after market lights like I did. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500