Is the door flat across from front to rear?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Is the door flat across from front to rear?

Post by my5thmopar »

Both of my doors on the 64 are pretty bad. I'm in the process of fixing them and need some help.. Is the door flat from front edge to rear edge? The right door seems to have a slight roundness and the left seems to be almost flat. But both seem to be rounded at the edges. I have to put a couple patches in the right door and the left will need the bottom 6 inches. I looked at Jim's CD and cant quite tell. If it is rounded can someone post one with a flat edge on it or point me to a post? Thanks Craig

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Re: Is the door flat across from front to rear?

Post by exline »

the doors from front to back are flat, you should be able to lay a straight edge across it and it will be flat. the only curve is from top to bottom. sometimes the doors end up with the corners pulled in a little , but if they are perfect they will be flat.
if you are welding patches in to fix rust in the corners they will probably pull to the inside and try to make a curve depending on how much welding you do. its good to make the patch off of the door and do most of the welding on the patch off the door then when the patch is all made , weld it in the door and don't weld it all at once, weld a little and let it cool. that will help keep it from pulling the corners in. it also might help to clamp the corners down to a straight edge while you do the welding.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Yep, Exline got it explained... It should run parallel with the Rocker. But then again... if your rocker is all caddywhumpass... that wouldn't help much either. But, yes... flat across the bottom.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Thanks guys for answering. It looks like I have a lot of work to do :banghead . And I haven't heard caddywhumpass :lol: used in a long time. At least it is cleaner than the words some use today. Craig

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Post by allsupj »

How does one go about fixing doors that are not flat across. Both of my doors are not, that are in fact concave. One by about a half an inch in the middle. No other dents, damage or body filler. Any ideas ?
Thanks,

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Plunger?

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Post by allsupj »

Thanks Jim. They do not appear to be bent. Do you think they will just pop out and stay? Body work is not my thing, if you hadn't noticed. Thanks again

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Exline from a post ago or two would be who I would wait on for that answer. Might have to ask again in a new thread.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

How to fix a door is more than i could explain here. It depends on the damage and every part is different. I guess my answer is that there is no easy answer.