Gas Cap

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lynnwood
State: WA

Gas Cap

Post by BBAIL »

Hey guys,

Been searching on here looking at gas cap options and seen a number of guys saying they went to local parts store and just grabbed one.

I'm hoping to find one with a style similar the one I posted below. Anyone know if there are any available in this style that will fit and more importantly seal on our trucks?

Ideally be all black or chrome with black handle part. Part numbers and or links would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Believe the cap I need would be vented for my '70 with a 383 big block.

If the one above can't be sourced for our trucks then I wouldn't be opposed to a completely flat topped one with the knurled edges. Don't want a locking cap...

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Gas Cap

Post by dodgeboykim »

By looking at that picture you have a cap from the next generation Lifestyle (72 n up) trucks . You would find that style on the fleetside box trucks.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Stant (thermostat company) used to sell them for Darts, not sure they do anymore. Get a vented one for sure.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

You are correct, that's the style I want but don't believe it will fit our trucks.

If it will fit and keep gas from pouring down the side of my truck then I'll order it up ASAP....

Here's where I found the one pictured: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAS-CAP-NEW-FOR ... 48&vxp=mtr

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

BBAIL wrote:You are correct, that's the style I want but don't believe it will fit our trucks.

If it will fit and keep gas from pouring down the side of my truck then I'll order it up ASAP....

Here's where I found the one pictured: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAS-CAP-NEW-FOR ... 48&vxp=mtr
http://www.partsgeek.com/6s3y84r-dodge- ... ap+-+Stant

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

As a note on lifestyle era truck gas caps. THEY ARE NOT VENTED. Tanks are vented. No vent and tank can collapse. I know as I did that 37 years ago in my 66 and the tank collapsed.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

nytemuvr wrote:
BBAIL wrote:You are correct, that's the style I want but don't believe it will fit our trucks.

http://www.partsgeek.com/6s3y84r-dodge- ... ap+-+Stant
I came across the one you posted but can't tell if it's vented or not and also don't want the warning label which looks to metal and affixed underneath the raised part you grab with your hand.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

You can unscrew the handle and remove the warning label. Remember not vented caps.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

dodgeboykim wrote:You can unscrew the handle and remove the warning label. Remember not vented caps.
So to clarify, you're saying the one that I posted and example another person posted are from the newer trucks and are non-vented yet I need vented correct? That's how I've read this thread.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

If the tank in your truck does not have a vent running from TANK to under the cab or into a charcoal canister then you WILL need a vented cap or you will collapse your tank and your truck will probably starve for fuel. That said you can always install a vent to the tank if it does not have a provision for it by putting one into the gas gauge module.
In the E Bay pictures you will see what looks like a hole in cap . That is a spring loaded pressure release. Not a vent.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

So back to original question... Does anyone know where I can get a vented cap that will fit our trucks which is similar to the style I posted above?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Napa, Autozone, O'Riellys or Carquest should fix you up, be sure to tell them you need a 61-68 cap. Jim