original paint code location

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Re: original paint code location

Post by 64D100Poly »

ufo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm
Ben, Do you know where that sheet was found in your truck?
I found what was left of mine sitting in the cross member near the rear axle, they stuck em pretty much wherever they wanted to..
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Post by sixpak340 »

The paint chip chart for 1966 Dodge trucks can be seen at https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/pa ... load_img=3

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

Post by SteveH »

In restoring a different car a while back there was a major debate in the community about what a particular known color was actually looking like. The name, and color code was known. It was a Reuter (German) company name and code. My car was in that color from the factory and the factory build sheet, called a Kardex in that world, stated the color and code. Problem was,…nobody could agree what the color ACTually looked like. SOoooo,…what I did was ever so carefully pick at and push out the rivets on an ID tag on the door pillar and,..lo and behold,..underneath was the actual color. Unmolested, and unaltered by sunlight, detergents, ozone, or any other attacks. I had it analyzed by the paint guy, and when I sprayed the car it was a perfect match. How you ask did I know? Well,..I taped off that little patch of history before I painted,..keeping he tape just barely inside the footprint of the ID tag, (Who am I to not leave the original history of that color to the next guy/generation, right?). So, when I pulled the tape?,…you couldn’t tell where the old or new paint met unless you looked at the tape ridge line. The ID tag went back on, and now the color I had made is the standard for that particular color. It might not be worth going through all that trouble but it’s at least an option if you want to pursue it.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I researched paint codes prior to the re-paint of my '71 D100. I have all the service manuals going back to 1965. What I found was, the name of the color changed from time to time, but the paint code stayed the same At least in the case of Desert Turquoise--or that was it appeared to be termed in most years.

Well, once we started to spray paint, we found the shade was dramatically different. At that point, it was easier to paint the interior, as well, ---which I originally had not planned to do. However, as I was painting the door interior, the shade difference would have been obvious.

Below is a photo of the floor pan, which would be immune to UV fading. You can plainly see the dramatic difference in the shade of the original paint as compared to the re-paint.
Paint shade difference.jpg
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

martincom wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:36 pm
I researched paint codes prior to the re-paint of my '71 D100. I have all the service manuals going back to 1965. What I found was, the name of the color changed from time to time, but the paint code stayed the same At least in the case of Desert Turquoise--or that was it appeared to be termed in most years.

Well, once we started to spray paint, we found the shade was dramatically different. At that point, it was easier to paint the interior, as well, ---which I originally had not planned to do. However, as I was painting the door interior, the shade difference would have been obvious.

Below is a photo of the floor pan, which would be immune to UV fading. You can plainly see the dramatic difference in the shade of the original paint as compared to the re-paint.

Paint shade difference.jpg
Looks like your original paint was maybe turf green?
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y