To Trim or not to Trim, that is the question...

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton
State: MD

To Trim or not to Trim, that is the question...

Post by hampstead38 »

I've finally had a chance to give the '66 D200 a more serious look. Someone's going to have to explain using heavy plastic cutting boards as cab and floor shims... first time I've seen that particular duct-tape-and-bailing-wire approach. Back to the issue... the D200 doesn't have any of the body trim save the Camper Special logos and the "Dodge" on the hood. The wheels and bumpers are painted white. The guy who had it didn't plug the trim holes. He just put little rubber seals over them... probably not a great long-term solution. I'm not overly concerned about the "bling." Are the body trim pieces readily available and reasonably priced... or hard to find and expensive? I'm a long way from worrying about trim, but I thought I would ask.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Re: To Trim or not to Trim, that is the question...

Post by RussRoth »

Is this the wide trim with the painted insert? If so, I believe I have a complete set.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Yeah Russ.... that is what it would have come with originally. :Thumbsup
That trim is easy to work with too. I've seen sets for sale from time to
time in the For sale section.
John

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

I'm not opposed to the trim... which look pretty good. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't 1) rare; 2) expensive. What's a full set generally run? And if it's something you are selling, Russ. Let me know via PM. Thanks.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Sir

From the first time I saw your truck I liked your
truck body with no trim. Me thinks the 1980's
black couloured 16 inch rims and chromed lug
nuts will be a camera pleaser.

As said by Tom ... remember it is four years
until the Dodge Brother's 100 Year Anniv.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Attachments
Where Is Rouite 66.jpg
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

dahooligan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: portville new york

Post by dahooligan »

I just went through the same thing with my 63.When I got mine the holes were already filled with bondo so when I repainted it I just left them as is but the hole marks still showed so I went to local pats store and got some stick on chrome molding.Its 5/8 flat and worked great.I ran some fineline tape as a guide and followed the contour of the bodyline.I split it where the "V" is at the end of the box.I ran it the full length of the body and then cut the door/box/hood openings with a razor blade.Just went to a show and everyone asked where I got the new chrome for it and people couldn't believe it was just stickon.Molding is Trimline m852005 and comes in 20ft or 50 ft rolls.I got two 20 ft rolls and cost is around $20/roll...............pat

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

dahooligan wrote:I just went through the same thing with my 63.When I got mine the holes were already filled with bondo so when I repainted it I just left them as is but the hole marks still showed so I went to local pats store and got some stick on chrome molding.Its 5/8 flat and worked great.I ran some fineline tape as a guide and followed the contour of the bodyline.I split it where the "V" is at the end of the box.I ran it the full length of the body and then cut the door/box/hood openings with a razor blade.Just went to a show and everyone asked where I got the new chrome for it and people couldn't believe it was just stickon.Molding is Trimline m852005 and comes in 20ft or 50 ft rolls.I got two 20 ft rolls and cost is around $20/roll...............pat
Any pictures?

I generally like these trucks without side trim but on certain trucks the trim does look good. One major problem I have with the trim is how it is attached, a series of large holes in the side of the truck where dirt and moisture collect which can lead to rust. Also if you remove trim there is always an outline of dirt the size and shape of the trim.

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

Large holes are not good. Given the body rust issues, I'm probably best served by leaving the trim off.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

If you get new metal clips from Restoration Specialties you will only have to drill 3/16th holes. I drilled all of the holes in my truck before having it painted so it shouldn't be a problem, but just in case, I put clear silicone on the back on the clips before tightening them. I also put silicone around the attaching nuts.
I love the trim on these trucks so I would definitely put it on, but that's a personal choice. If you do decide to put it on, be sure to get a straight line down the side. That wide trim seems to be wavy on some trucks.
1969 Adventurer W100