'71 front fender trim clip removal??

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

'71 front fender trim clip removal??

Post by MOPAT »

I was removing the trim strips on my '71 parts rig for a guy and have a question.
The bed and door pieces were plastic pieces with a "ram's horn" looking top, had a slotted hole that went over a metal post with a round top that looks sort of like a mushroom welded into the sheet metal. Those were no problem to remove.
THE QUESTION: The front fender clips are plastic with an ~ 1/4" round plastic rod going through the clip and fender, held in place on the inside of the fender with arms that are part of the clip. No room to use a punch and hammer to drive them out and the arms are fragile. I drilled out a couple with a bit slightly smaller than the rod to get them off figuring that getting round plastic rod stock was easier than finding clips.
ANYONE with more experience than me have a handy tip on how to remove these? Did MOPAR make a special tool (not that I could find one)?
Thanks
Pat
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: '71 front fender trim clip removal??

Post by soopernaut »

I haven't tried to remove the trim on the fenders but I noticed something was odd. From the back it looks like holes in the fenders but the rest of the trim is held on with the plastic clips and the studs. When I saw those holes I decided I would be using my spare fenders without holes. I may try to remove the trim just to see what it really looks like under there.

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Do you have the trim off and have only the plastic clips left?

Or do you have both to remove still?

In the picture, which ones match?
Attachments
100_7178.jpg

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

I've got the trim off the bed and doors and driver's fender. Getting the trim off wasn't a problem. :Thumbsup
The "ram's horn" clips @ the top and side of the picture are what held on the bed and door trim. THOSE were easy to get off.
The 9 clips that are rectangular and have the round plug are the ones I have the question about removing. :study
Do you have any helpful hints? :thinking
Thanks
Pat
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I took some out to see what the deal was and it is pretty easy. Get a punch and a hammer. You can either punch from the front or back side of the clip. It is much easier to punch from the front however the plugs will end up under the truck if the fenders are still attached. Just punch right in the center of the round plug and it will come out. The rest of the clip should just pull right out of the fender hole.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Those plugs are tapered so I wouldn't advise driving them from the rear even if you could get to the back side.
1969 Adventurer W100

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:banghead :banghead
Thanks Guys!!!!!
Given my history and luck I was leery of just getting a punch and hammer and beating on them.
Previous "GET A BIGGER HAMMER" experiments haven't always led me to the best results. :pale
Pat
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Russ wrote:Those plugs are tapered so I wouldn't advise driving them from the rear even if you could get to the back side.
I didn't notice any taper and I tried from both sides and had no problem.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

soopernaut wrote:
Russ wrote:Those plugs are tapered so I wouldn't advise driving them from the rear even if you could get to the back side.
I didn't notice any taper and I tried from both sides and had no problem.
I previously recommended driving the plug out from the front but I was remembering them wrong. I think it would be better to drive them out from the rear if you can get to it.
I looked at a new, never used one and it does have a slight taper, however it might not have been manufactured that way. When they come new the plug is half way out. It may be that the part sticking out is full size but the part in the hole of the clip is squeezed down some. It's a very tight fit. Maybe they loose that taper after having been driven into the hole for nearly forty years.
The lower trim clips that hook over the stud are p/n 6002752. The smaller plastic clips for the upper trim and the lower clips that use the plastic drive-in stud don't have the p/n moulded into them like the others and aren't shown in my parts book.
1969 Adventurer W100