eliminating vent windows

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: eliminating vent windows

Post by Russ »

Look at most late model cars and some trucks. They have a mirror in the lower front corner of the window that is mounted on a triangular panel. The don't have vent windows but the morror spaces the front of the glass back from the front of the door. If you want to eliminate the vent windows but don't want to convert to suicide doors you might could make a panel like late model cars have with a mirror mounted on it and use that to space the window back behind the internal braces. You would mount the division bar to the rear of the mirror bracket. You could make the mirrors flat black like most new cars or paint them to match the truck color.
1969 Adventurer W100

moparman64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: prineville
State: OR

Post by moparman64 »

i dont know about the glass part of the equation. but this is what i have planned on my truck. i was gonna chop the top of the door where the vents are, off a couple of donors, and weld them too the top of the door. continuing the vent body line all the way down the door. so once you remove the vents there isnt that lump there. just a smooth line. and i was thinking of a linear accuator. to lift the window glass. sounds good in theory.
life is too damn short to have a boring ride!

64 D-100 short wide /6 with 3 on da tree!
96 dodge neon sedan SRT-4 2.4T swap
78 mercury marquis wagon, 514 stroked big block
78 ford pinto 302/aod 4 speed

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

can you explain what you were gonna do again? cut that bump off the top of the door then weld a piece of metal where the vent glass was? or am i reading wrong??

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

juddoats wrote:can you explain what you were gonna do again? cut that bump off the top of the door then weld a piece of metal where the vent glass was? or am i reading wrong??
I think he was saying the entire door will be the height of where it is below the vent window. The welded pieces would go the entire length of the door not where the vent window was. It is kind of hard to explain.

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

shouldnt need a linear actuator to lift the glass...there are aftermarket power window setup for flat glass windows which have an 18" lift which is enough for our doors.

Dakota Digital sells some that I know of.
Tim

1971 W200 383 4-spd Utiline/long bed

moparman64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: prineville
State: OR

Post by moparman64 »

im sorry bout my explanation. no, what i want to do is take the hump that the vent window sits on, all the way down the door. i think it would make a more cohisive look for a one piece window, and make the top look lower all in one modification! and if you did it right, noone would even know you did it, unless it was sittin next to another one like it. soopernaut had it right! and yes, it is kinda hard to explain.
life is too damn short to have a boring ride!

64 D-100 short wide /6 with 3 on da tree!
96 dodge neon sedan SRT-4 2.4T swap
78 mercury marquis wagon, 514 stroked big block
78 ford pinto 302/aod 4 speed

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

ok cool...i understand what you are talking about and hope you do it and it works...take pics i would LOVE to see...how will you do the window because of the hinges still???