doors

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

doors

Post by juddoats »

could dodge have made it any harder to get top part of door apart from bottom...i took 2 bolts out on both sides of the doors and bottom 2 bolts out also...i have door latch apart what is keeping it from coming loose? please help thanks

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: doors

Post by 712edf »

Seems like a 5th screw is hidden somewhere under some rubber, at least I think I read something to that effect.
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

UPDATE i found another smaller bolt on the inside of the door bolted to a mount that goes to the bottom 2 bolts BUT there is a bent part of the rail on the latch side that i cant get past the top..is this normal or is mine messed up some weird way?

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

Normal. I was soooo tempted to cut that bent piece off when I put mine back in. You have to pull the door frame up on both sides till the front is out. Then tip it (I cant remember if its toward the front or back) and it shoud come out. Just get the front half out and play with it a little, look down the hole, you'll see which way to move it.

It is a major PITA.

This is assuming that the vent window assembly has been unscrewed. There is one screw about a half inch down the front of the vent window frame, and one right behind the vent window post on the bottom. In order to get the door frame out, I leave the bottom vent window assembly screw in, and take the one a half inch down on the front off.

Hope this all makes sense.
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Just wait. It is an even bigger pain in the butt to put back together and get it all to line back up right.

:censored
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Years ago on my lifestyles series truck (different animal) I was unaware the workings of the door glass (needed to replace regulator) and resorted too a sawzall to remove the glass from the BOTTOM..Now I just need some "11 X 23" speakers and it wouldn't be noticeable. :joker
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

1965D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mesa AZ

Post by 1965D100 »

juddoats wrote:could dodge have made it any harder to get top part of door apart from bottom...i took 2 bolts out on both sides of the doors and bottom 2 bolts out also...i have door latch apart what is keeping it from coming loose? please help thanks
There are 5 bolts, two in front, two at the back, and 1 underneath towards the front. There is also a phillips head screw that needs to be removed from the middle vent window. You MUST remove this or risk breaking the vent window frame, and from what i can gather a replacement part is not easy to find. Look at page 1, halfway down, of my build log for door replacement:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17102

After that is removed, you simply slide the entire upper window frame vertically until it clears the lower frame. Note that this is essentially the same height as the bottom door frame as the front window guide extends to the bottom of the door where 1 of the 5 bolts is located.

If the upper door frame doesn't come somewhat easily, you may have a problem somewhere. My drivers side door just happened to be spot welded in the front by some previous owner, and it took awhile before I realized it.

Putting the upper frame back in is an even bigger challenge and a HUGE pain!
1965 Dodge D100

My ongoing re-build: Clickety-Click!

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

There is also a clip on the vent wing assembly, towards the top, that holds the front
edge into the window frame. One of mine broke while pulling it out.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

nfury8 wrote:There is also a clip on the vent wing assembly, towards the top, that holds the front
edge into the window frame. One of mine broke while pulling it out.
It's a good idea to find that upper screw and take it out so that you don't break the clip. It's almost impossible to get the clip out without breaking it and replacements aren't available as far as I know. Here's a pic that shows the location of the hidden screws.
vents.jpg
You can pull the rubber back to get to the screws.
1969 Adventurer W100

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

712edf wrote:Years ago on my lifestyles series truck (different animal) I was unaware the workings of the door glass (needed to replace regulator) and resorted too a sawzall to remove the glass from the BOTTOM..Now I just need some "11 X 23" speakers and it wouldn't be noticeable. :joker
Lifestyles? what is that? (72-80 body style? just a guess)

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

440SCOUT wrote:Lifestyles? what is that? (72-80 body style? just a guess)
72-93 actually......power wagon stopped in 80 became power ram in 81....The 22 years of this cab design was one of the longest design runs in automotive history. Other long term designs that come to mind: Dodge B series van 71-94, Porsche 911, Volkswagen Beetle, Jaguar XJS, Jeep Waggoneer (Grande)....There are others that went years without major changes.

And to think I passed on making a joke. :censored
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab