dash shifter

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

dash shifter

Post by juddoats »

what years were the shifters in the dash? i have a 71 and love the dash shifter look but i dont think there is any room for it on my dash between the speedometer and where ther radio goes...anyone know?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: dash shifter

Post by 712edf »

I wanna say they disappeared around the 65 1/2 changeup but I'm NO expert on these things. The A100/A108 vans & wagons had 'em a while longer maybe, but they aren't identical.
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

I've got one in my '68 but I have no idea if it came that way originally. Mine also did not come with a radio but the former owner put a hole in the dash to install one....

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

man i love the dash shifter....can someone that has one measure for me how much room it takes on the dash? there isnt much room between the radio and speedometer on my 71 dash but i would love to be able to incorporate it in there somewhere
thanks for the info and pics

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The dash shifter like the one in Chilort's pictures was used from early 65-68. There was a pushbutton dash shifter used before that.

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

juddoats wrote:man i love the dash shifter....can someone that has one measure for me how much room it takes on the dash? there isnt much room between the radio and speedometer on my 71 dash but i would love to be able to incorporate it in there somewhere
i am doing this swap on my 70... you have to change the dash itself. the mounting for the shifter is spot welded to the dash..
i suppose you could hack and weld your dash :banghead :banghead but to me it is easier to swap to the earlier, i think the guage panel, lack of padding on the dash, etc look better in my opinion any way..
doug
:2cents
:salut

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

440SCOUT wrote:
juddoats wrote:man i love the dash shifter....can someone that has one measure for me how much room it takes on the dash? there isnt much room between the radio and speedometer on my 71 dash but i would love to be able to incorporate it in there somewhere
i am doing this swap on my 70... you have to change the dash itself. the mounting for the shifter is spot welded to the dash..
i suppose you could hack and weld your dash :banghead :banghead but to me it is easier to swap to the earlier, i think the guage panel, lack of padding on the dash, etc look better in my opinion any way..
doug
Just be prepared for the older dash to not fit correctly in the 70 without modifications.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

440SCOUT wrote:
doug
You probably already know the differences in bulkheads for the wiring.... they changed in '69.
John

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

soopernaut wrote:
440SCOUT wrote:
doug
Just be prepared for the older dash to not fit correctly in the 70 without modifications.
so in your opinion would it be easier to modify the later dash to accomodate the shifter?
besides the wiring what other mods are required for the earlier dash swap??
thanks

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Well I actually have no experience with this but there are some threads about it. Here is one. http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... ap#p126000