Automatic steering column

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dd6363
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lemoore/CA

Automatic steering column

Post by dd6363 »

I have a 1970 D-100 with a automatic trans. The shifter assembly moves the gear indicator and feels like it is broke internally. When I bought the truck it had a different steering wheel installed, so did the person before me forget something inside? The linkage is not hooked up to the tranny. Could that be the problem? I want to put a TCI or Hurst floor shifter in so my other question is does anyone know of a cover for my column shifter? Or will I need to try and find a steering column from a 4 speed truck. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Automatic steering column

Post by Russ »

Just changing the wheel shouldn't have affected the operation of the column. There is a detent plate inside the column that locks the shifter in park, so that you have to pull the lever forward to get it out of park. The detent also stops the shifter at Drive and you must pull it forward again to move it to "2" or "1". I haven't seen inside of a floor shift column, but you probably can just change the top parts to get rid of the column shifter.
1969 Adventurer W100

dd6363
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lemoore/CA

Post by dd6363 »

I think you are right, because right now you don't have to pull the lever forward like you said to shift. I will take the steering wheel off and check everything. Thank you for the help.

Do you know of any kind of cover for a after I take the indicator and shifter off?

Thanks,
Dave

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

There are also a couple long screws that go into a couple blocks to kind of clamp it all together, hard to describe. Those could be messed up.

Never heard of a cover for the shifter, it would be a hot item! I have heard of grinding it down and filling with JB weld.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I have a truck with a cable floor shifter, I hate that thing, wish I would have put a column shifted column in, but a 62 truck is hard to find that. I have melted the cable once, no fun replacing.