Grille Swap Question

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
JaxsDad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Jose

Grille Swap Question

Post by JaxsDad »

This is my first post, so I'm new to the Sweptline crew.

I just picked up a super clean 66 SHort Fleet. THe only issue I have with it is that I'm not really in love with the grile. Does anyone know what would be riquired to swap it out for a 70-71 grille? Do I just need a grille and a hood? Do I need to swap out the Radiator support as well? Any knowledge from you guys would be helpfull.....

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Grille Swap Question

Post by Hobcobble »

JaxsDad wrote:This is my first post, so I'm new to the Sweptline crew.

I just picked up a super clean 66 SHort Fleet. THe only issue I have with it is that I'm not really in love with the grile. Does anyone know what would be riquired to swap it out for a 70-71 grille? Do I just need a grille and a hood? Do I need to swap out the Radiator support as well? Any knowledge from you guys would be helpfull.....
You should be able to use the same core support and just drill some additional holes for the newer
grill. I'm not sure how the latch mechanism and hood will work with the newer grill as there are
differences in latches through the years and the older [pre-'68] hoods have a drop center lip whereas
the newer hoods ['68, '69-'71] have a straight lip. :study

Welcome to the site. :welcome
John

moparman64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: prineville
State: OR

Post by moparman64 »

ive been told this is pretty easy, the main thing is the latch. also told that its the easyest if you have the whole front clip or the newer truck to work with. as the core support and fenders already have the holes you need to mount them where they go. and if you just swap some parts out you will have to do alot of drilling to make it all fit right.
life is too damn short to have a boring ride!

64 D-100 short wide /6 with 3 on da tree!
96 dodge neon sedan SRT-4 2.4T swap
78 mercury marquis wagon, 514 stroked big block
78 ford pinto 302/aod 4 speed

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

moparman64 wrote: and if you just swap some parts out you will have to do a lot of drilling to make it all fit right.
I have done this on my '67. Two holes, as I recall. :lol: :lol:
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires