Sweptline steering wheels

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dxil62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Janesville, WI

Sweptline steering wheels

Post by dxil62 »

Hello,

Over the past several years I've slowly been working on the restoration of a '62 D-400 oil tanker truck. I'm beginning the reassembly process this fall in my garage, and one part that has eluded me is a steering wheel. I'm hoping that someone here might have some advice and/or ideas. The original steering wheel, which I still have, is 18" in diameter w/ 3 spokes. It has some cracks that I know can be fixed, but what concerns me is that it's fairly worn. Has anyone here ever had one of these steering wheels restored, and if so, were you happy with the results? My other option is to find another steering wheel in better condition, but I haven't had much luck finding one for the medium-duty trucks like mine. A penny for your thoughts :)

Thank you,
Dan

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Re: Sweptline steering wheels

Post by sweatybetty »

its been a while since ive visited bigblockdart.com but a member there by the name of pinke restored steering wheels

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

The W-200 up use that wheel also, untel about 1969
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

Post by mightydodge »

I used Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle. Steering wheel turned out like new; no complaints here.
1968 Dodge D-100
225 ci, 3-speed

dxil62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Janesville, WI

Post by dxil62 »

Thanks everyone for the input. I will follow your leads and links. The cab is painted, and I'm just starting to put everything back together.

Dan

MikePA
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mechanicsburg
State: PA

Post by MikePA »

Has anyone used the POR restoration kit or other paints for a wheel? My black wheel is in pretty good shape, but most of the shiny black is worn off. I'd like to find a paint to bring that back.

Mike

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

You can use epoxy paint to paint a wheel and it will hold up very well. You can get it in a spray can. I've done a couple of wheels that way with good results.
1969 Adventurer W100

bluefury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pinson Alabama
State: AL

Post by bluefury »

[quote="dxil62"]Hello,
Has anyone here ever had one of these steering wheels restored, and if so, were you happy with the results? My other option is to find another steering wheel in better condition, but I haven't had much luck finding one for the medium-duty trucks like mine. A penny for your thoughts :)

Steering wheel restoration on these wheels is pretty easy and straight forward. Some two part epoxy to fill the cracks, a little sanding and refinish.... I use automotive grade black clear coat.
Mitchel motors has had some NOS wheels for these trucks on eBay from time to time. I got one from him for $67.00 a few years back but I think he has wised up since then. I picked mine up at his place and passed over several that had minor shelf damage.
I hope this helps...

Will.

dodgedoug
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rochester MN

Post by dodgedoug »

I know where there are 3 D400 - D500's in a junkyard. I don't know the condition of the steering wheels. E-mail me directly at cmx245@yahoo.com for more info.

Chargerchick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: King. North Carolina

Post by Chargerchick »

Hello!
In my opinion, both restoring the wheel and buying another from a junkyard are good ideas. But which one you go with depends on the condition of the steering wheel. I know it's hard to find old Dodges like these (At least here in North Carolina) and every original part makes it that much neater. So if it is cost efficient, and the wheel isn't beyond repair, I'd go for that route. However, if the steering wheel is a little too far gone, hunting one up is always a good plan too.

And since we're on the subject of steering wheels, I'll go ahead and add that oddly enough, the steering wheel in my husband's truck is upside down. lol.

bluefury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pinson Alabama
State: AL

Post by bluefury »

most of the shiny black is worn off. I'd like to find a paint to bring that back.

I used an automotive grade base coat/clear coat. It's really hard and durable and looks better then new.

]