Retrofitting a new bench seat??

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Retrofitting a new bench seat??

Post by CLIFF »

Ive got a rather nicely made bench seat available to me that i would love to put in my truck. Thing is its 3 inches narrower then the stock bench. Im wondering how its going to center up with the steering wheel. Or would it look funny to have the seat more to the driver side to sit you in center of steering wheel?
67 buick bench seat.jpg

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Re: Retrofitting a new bench seat??

Post by Rodger »

Cliff

The Buick seat is three inches less than your OEM seat. This means only 1 1/2 inches less when center.

Have you ever thought of an 1979/1980 NY'r or 5th Ave type of seat ??? They are low back with an adjustable head rest and also have the arm rest that folds up and down. If the six way power and the ploush-ness is to much, then look for the lower classed seats in an like era Plymouth or Dodge.

The high backed seats will bump into the rear window glass on the standard cab's.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Attachments
1966 Chrysler Division Dealer's Brochure Opt PG.jpg
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

kman1226
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Thornton
State: CO

Post by kman1226 »

That's easy. Just narrow truck. In 5-10 years you could have a nice bench seat in your truck :joker

I.5 inches on either side you would barely notice.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

I think having one mounted off center would look naggingly obvious. Something to note; 96-? Ram seats will work if you cut a couple of inches out of the front R and L mounting brackets. That's what I put in mine and it's a great seat.

injunjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by injunjoe »

Seabee, are you able to move that newer Ram seat forward and back on the tracks, I was looking at that swap for my truck. Thanks, Joe

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

injunjoe wrote:Seabee, are you able to move that newer Ram seat forward and back on the tracks, I was looking at that swap for my truck. Thanks, Joe
Yes it will move. I set it up so that the front mounting bracket foot was mounted just at the edge of where the floorpans drop, with the seat slid (if I remember correctly about the middle of the track). It can move fwd and back, though more rear movement could be gained without the gas tank in the cab.
I keep it back with the seatbacks at a comfortable angle and alllllmost against the tank. I'm 6'2" and it's comfortable. It does sit a little higher than the stock bench as I installed it so moving fwd a lot might crowd the large dia steering wheel.

injunjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by injunjoe »

Thanks, Seabee I am also 6'2"" and I think the extra height might be an improvement,I going junkyard hopping this weekend. Joe